The mother of all mat wells

Hi all, I've finally managed to chisel out the mat well we have between our front doors (9m x 1.2m) and now plan to edge it with right-angled steel and cover the rough concrete with a self levelling compound. I've never used this before - I guess I need to prime/seal the raw concrete? Any recommendations for this and the compound? Depth will be 5-8mm approx. Thanks all

20240730_193209.jpg

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Use the two part one, comes with its own liquid additive 

use any tilers primer, follow the instructions on the primer. 

This stuff do? What's the advantage of a two part?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Level-Self-Levelling-Compound/dp/B01MSZ2NA9?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A270JM2WSBBETT

2 hours ago, Tom said:

(9m x 1.2m)

I thought I might be able to chip in given we have a pretty big mat well formed at our front door, but it appears we don't!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

advantage of a two part?

This stuff is brilliant. I didn't know it was still available. I used another brand over an area of wonky old floorboards, then carpeted it. It remained flexible and intact for ....well it was still fine when we moved about 10 years later. Thickness varied 5 to 15 or so.

4 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Thats a carpet runner!

Is it all going to be coir/ribbed mat for wiping your feet? Usually this comes in 1 or  2m widths, so a fair bit of waste there

Yep, the coir stuff. I'll probably lay it in 2m wide strips width-ways, bits near the door will wear down quicker and need replacing sooner anyway.

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

So big, it would have been easier to raise the rest of the floor.

Believe me we went through every way of doing this! Spending a week in January with a Hilti floor chaser, then last weekend with my SDS drill, has worked out OK in the end.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 18:22, Onoff said:

Is the peg board for hanging tools?

Mostly for dropping keys and money through I reckon

Bosh! Took eleven bags in the end. I had ten, 45 minute round trip to Screwfix for the eleventh, naturally

20240806_131640.jpg

Would you put primer down on the compound or just leave it do you think? Coir mat going over the top anyway.