Hello all from Bristol

Hi, my name is Graham (60's), and my wife Mandy(50's).  We have a 6 year old collie/alsatian and a black and white cat.  I was interested in self build a number of years ago but did not quite get around to a full house build - full time IT Security jobs get in the way!  We completed a number of DIY jobs in our current and past homes e.g. new bathrooms, kitchens, extensions, garages etc.

I have rekindled a bit of interest in ICF on approaching retirement as I might have a future double detached garage and storage in mind (and time to do it or manage it being done), and ICF/Durisol may offer a suitable method for walls and potentially a 'kingspan' roof.

rgds

Graham

• Like 2

Morning.

Good to see another member joining us.  I've written a fair bit about Durisol (here) Hope it helps.

And - before the usual avalanche of Durisol critics all pile in : there is ( ... and now perhaps was ) a good deal to criticize about the product. The company went into liquidation and has now been taken over . The MD and I had a good long chat about what needed to be improved about the product . Lets see how the new company shapes up.

To be clear: if you go down the Durisol route ask, and research directly for yourself, dimensional consistency and deliverability. There are many similar products on the market. Investigate those too. I find it useful to know why I am NOT choosing a product that I might reasonably have been expected to choose. Researching the answer to that question is always informative.

PS - is it Brizzle or Brisol ?

Edited by ToughButterCup

5 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

before the usual avalanche of Durisol critics all pile in

I'm not one of them. We built our house with Durisol once you realise every block has a slight taper least release from moulds) it's a very straightforward process. 6 rows high, OSB on corners and across cut blocks, fill with concrete 5.5 blocks high, repeat. They have a good construction manual also. Very easy to do DIY.

3 hours ago, graham-l said:

future double detached garage

I can see the diy attraction of durisol and the like.

Also it would be nicely durable for the ages.

But for a diy garage I would almost certainly use timber, stick built.

My family did one recently,  with no experience, and it is a success....and ecomomical. 

50 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

But for a diy garage I would almost certainly use timber, stick built.

I would also, in fact I would do as @joe90 did. Quick and cost effective, very easy DIY. ICF is a bit economy of scale, due to the concrete pump and its cost.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

also, in fact I would do as @joe90 did.

Yes, just needs a concrete base, all the neighbours like my “pretty” garage

https://www.quick-garden.co.uk/wooden-garages/?_gl=1*1o4y9i*_up*MQ..&gclid=CjwKCAjwtNi0BhA1EiwAWZaANNlEEyKIvwq8eaP6O5STZ7ihyJhmGjHNN0m4QLPsq81-fOai-BpIQBoCdewQAvD_BwE

IMG_0120.jpeg

Edited by joe90

2 amateurs at work.

4 did the slab due to the need for speed.

they did this stud by stud. If there was more muscle available then making  your own wall panels on the slab is a good option

Fortunately the bco did not consider the lean-to to be included as m2, so it was 1/2m2 inside the Permitted development  area.

25 minutes ago, joe90 said:

my “pretty” garage

This kit method works well too. It will go up really fast. I guess it adds 30% of so to materials but saves on labour.

IMG-20230620-WA0007.jpg

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

@graham-l . There’s certain things all us Bristolians are good at apart from knives and bodies in suitcases - it’s building dungeons / lairs & soundproofing 😉

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Onoff said:

There’s certain things all us Bristolians are good at apart from knives and bodies in suitcases - it’s building dungeons / lairs & soundproofing 

I appreciate all the comments replying to my intro - funnily enough your comment was spot on - the garage would be for a car, a boat and trailer, and be remote from my house - so one of the attractions to an ICF would be that it includes a 'concrete wall' from a security perspective.  I appreciate I could get a similar result with dense concrete hollow blocks, but I thought I would explore the possibilities with an ICF.  Garage would probably be 9 m x 9 m or 12 m x 3 m.  I'l post in the appropriate forum, rather than intros in due course.

Graham

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markc said:

battery nibbler and recipro saw straight through the cladding

I've dealt with a few of these. There was always some insulation and an inner liner and they were surprised and ill-equipped and gave up.

What they expected to run off with through a small hole with lethal edges, is a mystery. 

I'd best not say what would have been more effective.

Most robberies I knew of involved driving a stolen  pickup at the door, hence rising bollards are used sometimes.

1 hour ago, markc said:

straight through the cladding

For interest, and stole what?

Very few buildings have a single metal skin.

round here it's sheds and they want chainsaws, quad bikes and power tools, and in our case my husbands fishing rods - they left our chainsaw.

turned out later they had already nicked one from the guy next door.

we think he had a shopping list, but liked fishing so that was personal.

they used bolt cutters to get in the shed through the padlock, the shed now has an alarm.

Thanks for all the security perspectives - no windows, some rebar, steel framed fire door, HD garage door, which might seem a little OTT as location would be pembrokeshire rather than bristol or london! 🙂

If anyone is interested...I built a metal shed where the police were guaranteed to arrive in 4 minutes with guns.

The security was such that the intruders would plead to be arrested. Smoke, noise, strobes. 

The shed itself would have taken an hour to get into with skills and heavy equipment even if cameras were disabled.... and then the kit would kick in. 

I think prisons rely on multiple layers in walls rather than being solid. Lots of mess. 

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

If anyone is interested...I built a metal shed where the police were guaranteed to arrive in 4 minutes with guns.

The security was such that the intruders would plead to be arrested. Smoke, noise, strobes. 

The shed itself would have taken an hour to get into with skills and heavy equipment even if cameras were disabled.... and then the kit would kick in. 

I think prisons rely on multiple layers in walls rather than being solid. Lots of mess. 

Sex sheds are notoriously difficult to break into ; but even more difficult to break out of ! 😉

IMG_0122.jpeg

Edited by Pocster
Photo for effect

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

At those revs my car is doing almost 100 MPH.

What is to stop the old chap getting caught in the drive belt.

image.png.b1bf42f6b918ef1dd2b953bde18baff3.png

I think that’s an intentional benefit …

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

At those revs my car is doing almost 100 MPH.

What is to stop the old chap getting caught in the drive belt.

image.png.b1bf42f6b918ef1dd2b953bde18baff3.png

Mine? Length...

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Not sure of the starting condition, but it will end up longer and thinner for a short time.

I think @Onoff will be in trouble ; looks like it would easily catch an inch or 2 

Edited by Pocster