Labour planning policy reversal.

So did Rachel Reeves announce today that Labour are reversing the changes implemented by the Conservatives in December 2023 and therefore making it more difficult for LPAs to just refuse an application without providing a valid reason?  I am hoping this is the case as we are about to submit a revised planning application which is modernist in design.

Am I getting ahead of myself, or have Labour committed to doing this, and do people think LPAs will be more cautious at refusing applications?

18 minutes ago, flanagaj said:

Am I getting ahead of myself, or have Labour committed to doing this, and do people think LPAs will be more cautious at refusing applications?

The below is a good article that covers the mechanisms to effect change and the likely timescales. It also directly references reverting the changes implemented to the NPPF in December 2023.

https://www.farrer.co.uk/news-and-insights/whats-labours-plan-for-planning-what-we-know-and-what-the-new-government-could-consider/#:~:text=We expect the NPPF changes,six months to a year.

21 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

The below is a good article that covers the mechanisms to effect change and the likely timescales. It also directly references reverting the changes implemented to the NPPF in December 2023.

https://www.farrer.co.uk/news-and-insights/whats-labours-plan-for-planning-what-we-know-and-what-the-new-government-could-consider/#:~:text=We expect the NPPF changes,six months to a year.

Thanks Garry.

2 hours ago, flanagaj said:

So did Rachel Reeves announce today that Labour are reversing the changes implemented by the Conservatives in December 2023 and therefore making it more difficult for LPAs to just refuse an application without providing a valid reason? 

I'm not aware of any changes brought in in Dec 2023 that made it easier for LPA's to refuse an application without providing a valid reason, so not sure what's going to be reversed that will make it more difficult. LPA's have to justify their decisions for Approvals and Rejections.

The Dec 2023 changes were mostly to increase housing supply, although there were some technical changes relaxing the requirements for LPA to have an identified 5 year land supply, which in some very specific circumstances removes an option to challenge a refusal.

Have you got more info on what you are expecting to change?

3 hours ago, flanagaj said:

making it more difficult for LPAs to just refuse an application without providing a valid reason?

A valid reason is not complying with policies. Just because you don’t agree with the outcome, doesn’t make it invalid.

8 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yes but if you own the field - you can cash in big time - yipeeeeeeeee...

We’ve already have a company from the Isle of Man chasing us for the field that we bought behind our plots 

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

unfortunately her wording would seem to only be for england --not the whole of the uk

Scotland wanted devolved powers, and that is one of them. Not much you can do about until Scottish election time.