Help please on insulation options

janedevon

I just appreciate the impartial advice from here, id be stuck without it first build a lot to,learn and its great to hear peoples opinions, i dont get to worried hard sell just makes me more determined to get as much info as i can prior to making a decision everyones opinion here is valuable, lifes too short for arguments and stress god knows we all have enough of that if we are in the self build game.

thanks guys i hope you look forward to my next questions!!!!

• Like 1

Me again, with more probably simple questions,

so we have sorted my plan for the warm roof living space as discussed esrlier in the thread, the timber frame guys have left today, and the main house roof has been sarked, the rest of the house, cold roof hasnt been sarked and oddly on my plan there doesnt seem to be specific insulation specified,

so as far as i see it i will counter batten the sarking to leave an air gap then felt and batten and tile and insulate with my 2 layers of 90mm earthwool, then im using 50mm of pir under rafters.

As the rest of the roof has no living space in it and no sarking does that negate the need for counterbattens? And what is standard roof insulation in a cold roof? 2x150 mm rock wool? Or something more substantial.

feel free to correct me if im wrong im here to learn.

thanks 

Unlike Scotland, I don't think sarking is a requirement in England, so it may be they will just felt and counter batten that area.

I'm just finalising the insulation of my roof, and one of the options is 2 layers of 90mm knauff frametherm 35, and 50mm PU beneath rafters. Taking into account roof timbers, gives a decent enough U value of just under 0.14 for us.  In my flat ceiling section, I have 420mm of earthwool specified (3 x 140mm).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again guys just a quick question reference the above pic on my build, had the building inspector around today she was checking roof structure and talking about insulation for the roof, i said the sarked roof is  a warm pitched roof which will have inulation between and under  rafters then the rest is cold roof which will have piles of earthwool inside, she said no its all a cold roof as to be a warm roof the insulation needs to be above rafters and the rest of the roof ie the un sarked  area would still need between rafter insulation.

she left me a bit perplexed and when checking my plans the insulation is as i described, i do however have a bit of a quandry where what i call the cold roof,cuts,into the warm one presumably i just carry all the way down with between rafter insulation and try to avoid cold bridging.

the sarked area has counterbatten the unsarked area hasnt.

any clues?

• 1 month later...

Guys when timber frame company left i got left a good few bales of frametherm 35 unused, the thng is they are 140mm, obviously i was aiming to use 2x90mm but is there anyway i can use these up, is packing two in between rafters detrimental or can i use these with something else to top it up? Could save me a few quid

quick question do i need to leave a 50mm gap under sarking board when i put this in?

On top of sarking i have breathable felt  counter batten then batten then slate?

getting confused after so mich reading as to wether i need to leave this gap when i fill between rafters

thanks

3 hours ago, janedevon said:

quick question do i need to leave a 50mm gap under sarking board when i put this in?

On top of sarking i have breathable felt  counter batten then batten then slate?

No gap (ventilated or otherwise) needed under sarking boards as you have a breathable membrane on top.

The counter batten raises the tile batten off the felt/boards so that water cannot pool above the tile battens. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so its now insulation time, started today with what the timber frame company had left me as spare.

a few questions if you knowlegable lot could help out,

im going 180mm frametherm topped with 25mm celotex then vcl prior to boarding.

do i go right down to soffits with insulation?

and what happens where my warm roof meets cold roof? Do i continue my frametherm right down?

in the eaves there will be celotex 140mm between and behind studwork

and what happens on the flat spaces above the dormers im putting 300 mm of earthwool over voids before boarding do i continue my batts all the way up as well?

couple pics to help

Pic 2 shows where warm roof will meet cold roof near the miriad of ducting

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

Edited by janedevon

We have a cold roof - this is how we are doing it:

P8160057.JPG

Battens fixed to roof trusses / rafters immediately underneath OSB sarking.  This is to prevent the insulation pushing up against or being in contact with OSB and the condensation issues that could arise.  The battens ensure a 45mm ventilation gap between insulation and sarking.  Another batten fitted to the underside of the truss / rafter so that there is enough depth left between rafters (180 mm) to take 2 x 90 mm frametherm 35 batts.  50 mm board insualtion across the rafters, joints taped and foamed.  We have taken our insulation right down to the wall plate (it actually extends out over all the EWI we have)  There will be further battens on top of the insulation boards to create a small service cavity then plasterboard.  A large part of our roof is vaulted, so no truss uprights to worry about, but where we have them they will have nothing more than plasterboard as they are within the insulated envelope. The gap through you can see leads to a section of the house with normal ceilings.  This area will have 450mm earthwool, which will simply be brought up to the back of the frametherm batts.

Just to clarify, the area you are asking about is cold roof?

Edited by Stones

I would take the Frametherm and Celotex topping all the way down in the habitable bit of the roof, thus insulating the voids. Then no need to insulate them as well and it gives you a warm storage space if you care to put a couple of trap doors in.

• Like 1

I get so,confused over warm roof cold roof, the area im insulating,is as im led to believe a warm roof ie open to habitable rooms was advised to not bother with batten and could insulate up to sarking as a breathable membrane is being used, the area beyond where all the ducting is going, is what i thought a cold roof so boarded below and will have 2 huge layers of rockwool over rafters before boarding.

see how easily im confused is your roof space habitable? And why is it a cold roof not a warm one lol