Design load question for my build

Post and beam

Good afternoon Guys

I have tried to get a price today from UK Power networks for a temp to perm electrical supply to site. They came back and asked me to provide an electricl load projection/estimate.

Does anyone have any advice on who or where i can obtain this for a building that obviously does not yet exist please.

keith

3ph is not relevant becuase they wanted me to pay for a new substation for the village becuase there is not enough capacity !

Is there a service that can provide this for a fee?

In a similar but different vein i paid £30 for a water usage estimate last weekend that was immediately accepted by Affinity water. Hoping there is similar for electricity and guessed this community was the likely place to find out.

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

single phase is limited to the cut out fuse at 100 amps im pretty sure so just ask for that.

Thanks Dave. I have done a lot of reading in the past 24 hours. This is theoretically a very difficult task, Duty cycles, power factor etc. And i phoned them again to say i had prepared a list of all anticipated appliances and hours per day use.

But, in practice all i need to do is quote 24 KvA!!!

Which, as you say is a 100 amp main fuse x 240 volts.

Its easy when you know.

They should have a simple form that lists out types of fittings, and you simply put the wattage / amperage against each one and total it up. E.g lights 1kW, ovens, 7kW etc etc. ours came to something like 70amps with car charger.

If you have limits on your local transformer and are concerned they may make you pay for an upgrade, ask them what IS available without upgrade.  In my case i was offered a 12KVA supply which has proved totally adequate.

More realistic appliance estimates

Fan oven 2kW

ALL lights on in the house at the same time 175W (all LED)

5kW heat pump max 2kW electricity consumption

Immersion heater 3kW rarely used but auutomatically soaks up surplus solar PV

Washing machine 3kW only when heating water, much lower at other times.

No bit appliances like electric showers so it is easy to see why 12KVA is enough for us.

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If you have limits on your local transformer and are concerned they may make you pay for an upgrade

There is no concern for 1ph. But when surveyed i was told that its only about £150 more for a 3ph supply. So i said yep lets go for that then.

Then i got a phone call saying 'no capacity in the village for 3ph you can pay for a new sub station.'

Single phase it is then.

• Like 2

Update:

It appears there is an issue with 1ph.

There is not enough power in the sub station even for 23kVA so they expect me to pay for an upgraded sub station regardless. I was told this afternoon that my house would account for 25% of the total capacity of said sub station. Even though there are 33 existing houses sharing the current supply. I find this difficult to understand.

I have asked them to price up anyway and see how bad this is going to get. I will also ask them what i could get without upgrading.

Ground solar array on the Horizon?

5 hours ago, Post and beam said:

Update:

It appears there is an issue with 1ph.

There is not enough power in the sub station even for 23kVA so they expect me to pay for an upgraded sub station regardless. I was told this afternoon that my house would account for 25% of the total capacity of said sub station. Even though there are 33 existing houses sharing the current supply. I find this difficult to understand.

I have asked them to price up anyway and see how bad this is going to get. I will also ask them what i could get without upgrading.

Ground solar array on the Horizon?

You can’t be accounting for 25% of a substation that has 33 houses on it. It’s not difficult to understand it’s impossible and the DNO should be able to see that. You only get any sense out the DNO when you make a formal application because they then have to do the correct survey/design work rather the desktop stuff that produces a load of nonsense. 

8 hours ago, Kelvin said:

You can’t be accounting for 25% of a substation that has 33 houses on it.

I know.

It’s not difficult to understand it’s impossible

I know

when you make a formal application

I have

Time will tell