Paint is cracking over caulk

revelation

Hope someone can help, we have had our walls spray-painted.  Almost everywhere that we have had caulked we have had this cracking, any ideas as to what is causing this and how could it be remedied?    We have used the caulk pictured.

Regards

IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7328.JPG

61539.jpg

Is the paint actually flaking off? If not and it is firmly adhered to the caulk, it is just shrinkage which can’t be avoided. All you can do is put another coat of paint on the areas but expect there may be further (but less) cracks as the caulk flex’s and timber moves.

As above, repaint until its covered. Whilst caulk is paintable, it tends to be a bit shiny and paint never takes quite as well as the wall.  Not much help now, but that looks like a huge amount of caulk.  I only fill the gap and wipe off all excess, rather than run a bead like you would silicon round a bath for example.

We have ended up with this in a lot of places for some strange reason. It happened during some painting in winter.  So we put that down to it being cold.  But it’s happened again now in summer too. 

For future reference, not all caulks are created equal. Although there are some personal favourites with particular decorators, Dunlop Flexible Acrylic Filler is repeatedly mentioned and held in high regard in the various painting/spraying Facebook groups I'm a member of.

4 hours ago, garrymartin said:

not all caulks are created equal.

I don't buy own brands any more. quality can even change with the supposedly same product, probably from another source, just branded the same.

I've had shrinkage, not flexible enough in life, too runny or too thick to apply.

I caulk after painting and as others suggested use the smallest amount by wiping most of it off with a damp cloth so just fills the gap. As to what you do now, I would re caulk but don’t paint. I do wonder if it might be worth removing paint if it is indeed the paint that has cracked. Maybe find a section not too prominent and divide into 3. 1. try re caulking and see if you can fill the cracking with caulk. 2. use a loaded paint brush and fill cracks with paint. 3. see if you can wipe off paint on caulk so removing the cracked paint. Hope that helps

Edited by Pendicle
Spelling

On 12/06/2024 at 09:21, Pocster said:

I sometimes get this . I just caulk over it again and deliberately don’t paint it .

I always end up doing the same, however not sure this is the proper way to fix it

25 minutes ago, johncraig8229 said:

I always end up doing the same, however not sure this is the proper way to fix it

Tbh it seems to work . I usually do a thicker initial caulk line - assuming it will crack . Then very fine line a few days later , using my finger to feel the crack . 😉

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Why am I not suprised you posted that 🤣

You wait @joe90 !. Once the final details are sorted and the netflix series titled "BuildHub - better than sex?" - you'll see plenty of my smutty humour.

• Haha 1