Is this cable dangerous/or am I just stupid?

We have finished a 3 year house building project, with a brilliant builder & a very good team. The only weak link has been his electrician. We moved into the property last July, with the Electric certifications followed soon after.

Since then though, we have a dispute over some outside lights, which were due to be controlled via a timer and PIR. The electrician messed up the wiring which meant the Timer wouldn't work with the external lights (missing an extra live feed?)..... however rather then own up to it, he has blagged & bullshitted over the last 10 months as to why it wouldn't work, every excuse under the sun - and where the timer was due to be installed the cables have been left hanging out.

I sent a photo to electrician soon after we moved in (10 months ago) asking if these hanging wires were live & he messaged me they weren't. I ignored them since then, waiting for him to come out & snag them/fit the timer...assuming they weren't connected at the other end.

Over the weekend I decided to tidy them up myself, as he has not been forth coming with resolving it. With the message from him saying they weren't live I (stupidly!!) decided to cut them back (as they were c2 feet long and getting in the way of our router) to enable me to tuck them out of the way....and BANG.

Electrician is now excusing/explaining saying he left them 'safe' as they had a WAGO block on & some tape, and he will reluctantly (!) come back and tidy it up for me. I am pretty unhappy about this whole situation, that in 20+ years i've never come close to a shock before, and his casual attitude to it feels painfully (!) wrong, after he confirmed in writing they weren't live.

My only issue it.... is a WAGO block taped on sufficient for electrical sign off? Is this just down to my own stupidity? Is this an acceptable state for wires to be left in? If not (as I hope it isn't!) is there any formal literature I can use to throw back at the builder to sack him & get my own electrician (at builder's cost) to resolve this?

Welcome thoughts from the experts in the room! thanks 

20240604_152230.jpg

Is a wago and tape “text book” ? No! But it is insulated and protected from accidental touching of conductors so no different from a cable. Looping back against the cable and taping looks neater.

Perhaps a bit silly to cut the wire.  I would be pissed off that the timer doesn't work and that seems the main point.  Just ask the builder or sparky to get it sorted.  No need for WW3.

Posted (edited)

Fair advice from you both, thanks. I'll calm my passions down a notch. I utterly launched builder at his electrician over this on Monday, and builder was suitable apologetic /meek about... Now just trying to decide how much more I want to kick off & keep escalating this, or accept his agreement to resolve ASAP with one of his senior team/who I trust to babysit the electrician for my peace of mind.

Edited by Andehh
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I used to be part P registered but no longer, whoever I would never leave a wago and tape after sign off, temporarily during work maybe. Your builder sounds a good chap, let him sort it.

Edited by joe90

I have a few things yet to be connected. The electrician has put them all in junction boxes to make safe. 

Out of interest how were you allowed to move in without the certificates? Here in Perthshire they are quite strict about that.