Block Paving - Batch issues different shade

Posted (edited)

We have a hiccup with the block paving. For some reasons or other the builder has had issues with getting the same bricks from the initial batch they used (not sure if its builder or supplier issue). As you can see this has resulted in a marked shading difference (the darker is the third lot that the supplier has attempted to match) and the builder laid these on Friday.

We just aren't happy with the shading difference.  The builder says he thinks these will fade but I'm not convinced and surely any fading will happen to both so they will always be different shades.... (He hasn't put the sand into the darker new bit yet)

The options are either for the builder to ring around various suppliers and try and find the batch that was initially used, another suggestion he had was to split it and try and do some sort of pattern or something different to split it up (I'm not sure what as it's such a large area of block paving) or to fit it all and if it doesn't fade or look right he will come back later and sort (my least preferred option as just want it all done and sorted and I do trust the builder would do the right thing).

Any suggestions please? If he splits it with some sort of pattern what would you do? Or would you just insist he gets the right batch...

20240525_092953.thumb.jpg.935b6d2fa2d35c29fe35c1412453ae9d.jpg

20240525_092926.thumb.jpg.426ad7d9da6b7a5a84112c771769b108.jpg

20240525_092900.thumb.jpg.30c0342a6514d2711e711c3b72ae487d.jpg

20240525_092953.thumb.jpg.935b6d2fa2d35c29fe35c1412453ae9d.jpg

20240525_092844.thumb.jpg.2c808b8794ef67379b50e87d7b6e8503.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation
  • Sad 1

This happens with bricks as well which is why same batch is import and even then mixing the pallets up so they are mixed helps. I think they will fade, mine did a lot (red), but might be worth trying to find the right batch.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ETC said:

Give the contractor a pair of glasses. He should have stopped after a few blocks were laid.

Yes this was yesterday. He'd already lifted the same patch he had done before as the colour didn't match and then redid it again but this one seems even worse..... 

I tend to agree with above about getting it up and builder should have sourced same batch (and mixed up pallets to stop this happening even with same batch).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I tend to agree with above about getting it up and builder should have sourced same batch (and mixed up pallets to stop this happening even with same batch).

Yes that's my gut is to get up the stuff he laid on Friday which is noticeably different... and hope he can get the same batch. I'll even lift the stuff!  It's such a large area and it will hit you as soon as you drive through the gates....

This happened at a previous place we lived with the common areas all blocked paved. They were all lifted and we mixed all the blocks up and relaid. 

Posted (edited)

As said above,

Personally I have found plasmor block paving very under par in the past especially in 50mm, I always use 60 but not plasmor

Your block layer is either partially sighted or just don't care about the finish because he hasn't mixed the packs, even if he had with the colour differences it will still show

Rip it up and use formpave/forterra for a far superior block and will last a lifetime 

Edited by stu w

3 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Even if they weren't the same batch and he had mixed them I don't think they would be that noticeable but at the moment it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I thought it was best practice to mix the blocks anyway 

1 minute ago, Kelvin said:

I thought it was best practice to mix the blocks anyway 

It is , and bricks , wall tiles , roof tiles, anything manufactured in batches , even same colour paints I mix together as they will always differ. 

Just a incompetent block layer or just don't care and just thinks about  💴💴💴💴

7 minutes ago, stu w said:

he hasn't mixed the packs, even if he had with the colour differences it will still show

I believe he did mix the packs he had but then the issues came when he had to wait for the remaining packs from the supplier which came later and were a different batch. I may be wrong though.....

Posted (edited)

So different that they may not even be the same spec of grey.

On a positive, the dark ones will fade quite a lot, and real life dust willl disguise it a bit.

There won't be any manufacturer's guarantee on colour.

The builder should have mixed the batches. This is a fundamental thing in construction, and the only excuse is ignorance.!

He could lift the blocks 0.5m either side of the change and mix them to reduce the effect. That sometimes makes a big difference.

Edited by saveasteading

2 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I believe he did mix the packs he had but then the issues came when he had to wait for the remaining packs from the supplier which came later and were a different batch. I may be wrong though.....

The supplier will wipe their hands of any issues if your contractors go back to them with this, they clearly state in their correspondence and its common knowledge always complete an area in the same batch 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stu w said:

its common knowledge always complete an area in the same batch 

It wasn't to me. Always learning. Perhaps that is more about thickness as that will vary as moulds wear out.

35 minutes ago, ETC said:

The only thing I can think about is to use the different colour to mark out a path to your front door or car parking spaces.

We have thought about asking him to use the paler colour that was used as edging and at the front door to try and do some sort of pattern to break it up but I think it will just look disjointed as we have such a large area and there doesn't seem anywhere logical to do a break or any sort of pattern.

20240521_205024.thumb.jpg.af866c34068f6025af6fce505a88cc2a.jpg