It had to happen sometime soon .....

ToughButterCup

“In order to keep the electricity grid in Oranienburg stable, we can no longer authorise new connections or power increases for household connections,”

accessed 18042024  https://stadtwerke-oranienburg.de/kapazitaetsengpass-im-stromnetz-der-stadtwerke-oranienburg/

Just north of Berlin, a pretty (if notorious) little town (Oranienberg)  has just told the Federal Government that they can't supply any more connections to new houses. That may well have to do with the way the East Germans did nothing to improve or maintain the infrastructure for 35 years. They say it will be 2026 before they can supply electricity to any new houses.

And there was me fantasizing about buying cheap in the former GDR (German Democratic Republic) and doing up some of those achingly beautiful old houses there.  Inviting @Pocster to advise. 😬

Edited by ToughButterCup

If everything is to go electric, then the grid capacity everywhere has to expand.  I wonder where will be the first to hit this situation in the UK?

I hope there are not any self builders with part built houses now finding they can't get connected?

11 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

The issue in the UK isn’t necessarily about generating capacity it’s more about transmission. 

That's the problem in the article.  The HV network in that region has no extra capacity.

All the tree huggers that think every house should have a heat pump immediately and every car should be an EV immediately, forget that if that happened too quick we would have the same problem.

• Like 1

I saw a news article talking about how power hungry data centres are and with AI growing the national grid will struggle to cope with the extra leky required.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

The issue in the UK isn’t necessarily about generating capacity it’s more about transmission

Aha!

Thats interesting. What's the transmission issue then? People not liking OH power lines? Because there's skin and hair flying in all directions  about that in Germany too.  And as so often in Germany it's about the human health aspects of exposed power lines.

Edited by ToughButterCup

7 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Aha!

Thats interesting. What's the transmission issue then? People not liking OH power lines? Because there's skin and hair flying in all directions  about that in Germany too.  And as so often in Germany it's about the human health aspects of exposed power lines.

Exactly.  There are bottlenecks on the HV grid that are already at capacity.  Some wind farms have to shut down at times as the grid cannot take the power they generate *

And it is taking an age to upgrade the grid.  For example the proposed third HV line to the far north passing us, has been in design and consultation for about 10 years so far.

* One of the wind farms near us, they are building an electrolyser to generate hydrogen using power directly from the wind farm  I am sure I have discussed this, I think it is a bonkers idea. The hydrogen will then be taken by road to distilleries to power them.  Surely it has to be better just to build the power lines needed and feed them with electricity?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Aha!

Lack of investment in the infrastructure and the very slow approval process both in planning and Ofgem. Offshore wind farms can generate more capacity than can be transmitted to where the electricity is needed. 

13 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

There's a line going in soon to take East Highland wind power to the south. Meanwhile @ProDave and @Jenki are paying as if it was gas generated in the SE. They'll put the grid cost on the bill too.

Yes we in the North should get the cheaper electricity to encourage people here to switch to heat pumps and use up some of that lovely renewable power, and it is folks in the south that should pay the grid surcharge to pay for the work allowing them to share in the green revolution.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes we in the North should get the cheaper electricity

I am all for that.

We can charge you more for things that are southern based.

So TV and radio broadcasts, proper beer, fresh vegetables etc.

Who needs a universal service.

Let's carve the nation up and say '(expletive deleted) you' to the neighbours.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes we in the North should get the cheaper electricity to encourage people here to switch to heat pumps and use up some of that lovely renewable power, 

I agree. I heard today that Scotland generates 113% of it's energy via renewables. My house looks out to sea over the Beatrice wind farm and can see (and sometimes hear the piling) of the construction of Moray East field. Lots of charities and organisations get money from the funds set up , but it would be 'Nice' to get a discount.

42 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

Reform the Barnett formula

You mean £1 = £1 but Scotland gets the oil money, and backdated 60 years? Scotland would jump at that but not sure England can afford it.

50 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

same spend as England/Wales

Wales is on the formula too. tho' not quite the same formula.

but this is getting into politics......out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Lack of investment in the infrastructure and the very slow approval process both in planning and Ofgem....

Exactly the same issues in The Fatherland.  But ... 2026 is predicted for the start of newbuilds in Oranienberg: they say the infrastructure will be in place by then.  Hmmm.

Off to Berlin soon. When there,  I'll pop up the road and have a look. 

My god @SteamyTea, do West Germans hate - and I mean h a t e - the taxes raised to support infrastructure projects in the former East Germany. 

Altogether too close to the North-South divide here. Fertile ground for the Hard-Right AFD. 

45 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

You mean £1 = £1 but Scotland gets the oil money, and backdated 60 years? Scotland would jump at that but not sure England can afford it.

Wales is on the formula too. tho' not quite the same formula.

but this is getting into politics......out.

Been bailing Scotland out since 1707! Even with the oil money Scotland deficit is very large. 

We could stop the debate here though if Scorland continue to send us the electricity in exchange for the money 😁