Been here before

Our previous build took my wife six months to decide on a kitchen 

With Junes moving date approaching Its looking unlikely that I’ll have a kitchen to fit I fitted a Nolte Kitchen last time So likely to be German again With Hacker a front runner 

The company that supplied our original kitchen has quoted 55k plus vat Which would take us over our final build budget of 350k 

Weve gone round in circles to finish up with a design that looks identical to what we already have 

I’ve reluctantly approached a friend who is a German kitchen supplier to try and get this over the line Conscious that the Continentals shut down for a month soon 

The downside is he will do most of it at cost He’s running a busy business and doesn’t need this 

People asked what was the the most stressful part of the build I always answered The fit out Which should be easy Trying not to found chauvinistic here But blokes arnt bothered if a fridge is on the left or the right Or a drawer is double or single 

We called at the door supplier yesterday The pairs of rebates fours Always have the dead man on the right But one pair has to be made up so can be easy I said just put it on the right My wife woke this morning and said I think we should have it on the left Can you ring them WHY?

Rant over One bathroom to tile today before I go home Hopefully I can get that right 👍

our current kitchen Watch this space

83296D4D-91A0-4370-9B27-A9004EC886D7.jpeg

Edited by nod
  • Haha 1

Sorry but I can't see ANYTHING in that kitchen that will make it £55K.  Howdens could replicate that, or any other kitchen supplier for that matter. Choose the best of their range, and fit yourself, Get good stone worktops and splashbacks, and buy the same top end ovens and hobs and other appliances as the German supplier is proposing.

(yes this is an answer from a man)

• Like 4

I go along with any decisions on layout. We don't consider anything other than howdens, but will check out benchmarx. 

All I insist on is for the door frames to be made of wood, and painted. I.e. no film covering which is vulnerable to damage and not sortable.

Left and right opening does matter. We bought a fridge assuming the door could be swapped over but it can't, and it is a right pain to use.

This bloke is as this bloke does most of the cooking. We hate cupboards and shelves preferring drawers as they are more practical and easier to access. Our island only has drawers and the tall cabinets all have pull out drawers at the bottom and shelves at the top. This also future proofs the kitchen as we get older and less able. And double drawers are more practical. The problem is all these drawers massively increase the price. 

Kitchens are stupidly dear for what they are. The shadow gap feature we wanted all around the island cost a small fortune. 

1 hour ago, nod said:

The company that supplied our original kitchen has quoted 55k plus vat

What proportion of that is appliances? We are deciding appliances now and will get to the final layout around them, ours will be painted doors so we can maintain them and choose nearer the time. I think we now have the floor tiles chosen so that sort of defines everything and as you say it's a mine field with the other half.

Our kitchen was £31k inc VAT and fitting including both AEG  ovens, full height AEG fridge (freezer is in the utility room),Neff N70 recirculating hob, Neff N90 dishwasher, stone worktop, and Quooker.

IMG_1624.thumb.jpeg.59e61b3fa5b71d25a7e2f4db9f238bdd.jpeg

19 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Is that at the bottom or the top? 

Top and middle (see pic above) with a black plinth. 

The difficulty we had was wanting the dishwasher on the end rather than where the sink is. The fitter had to build a carcass on-site which required that wee extra bit of wood on the bottom left corner. 

Edited by Kelvin

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Sorry but I can't see ANYTHING in that kitchen that will make it £55K.  Howdens could replicate that, or any other kitchen supplier for that matter. Choose the best of their range, and fit yourself, Get good stone worktops and splashbacks, and buy the same top end ovens and hobs and other appliances as the German supplier is proposing.

(yes this is an answer from a man)

The one pictured was 19k with appliances 6 years ago

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I go along with any decisions on layout. We don't consider anything other than howdens, but will check out benchmarx. 

All I insist on is for the door frames to be made of wood, and painted. I.e. no film covering which is vulnerable to damage and not sortable.

Left and right opening does matter. We bought a fridge assuming the door could be swapped over but it can't, and it is a right pain to use.

We new we would be selling 

At three quarters of a million buyers don’t want Howdens or Wickes Perfectly good kitchens But a lot of snobbery Particularly our some market Asian Doctors 

All asked if it was a German kitchen as we hadn’t bothered to plant the naff logos on

Probably a bit like Svoda and vw Same car But one isn’t a VW

My friend has priced the units for the new kitchen and large utility at 19k 

Howdens are around 14k 

But seven and six on appliances and quarts My my friend is seven for both So keep within a budget of 30k 400 m2 is looking like coming in at 350k 

Without the landscaping But the vat claim will more than take care of that 

Also worth looking at DIY Kitchens. Better quality than Howdens imo, having DIY fitted both. 

The only downside being the delivery can be a bit of aggro. They’re usually cheaper than Howdens though. 

8 hours ago, nod said:

We new we would be selling 

At three quarters of a million buyers don’t want Howdens or Wickes Perfectly good kitchens But a lot of snobbery Particularly our some market Asian Doctors 

All asked if it was a German kitchen as we hadn’t bothered to plant the naff logos on

Probably a bit like Svoda and vw Same car But one isn’t a VW

My friend has priced the units for the new kitchen and large utility at 19k 

Howdens are around 14k 

But seven and six on appliances and quarts My my friend is seven for both So keep within a budget of 30k 400 m2 is looking like coming in at 350k 

Without the landscaping But the vat claim will more than take care of that 

Hi nod

Fair point. I also used to design towards the market I was selling to even to the extent of installing flash looking impractical bits. In our home we have a Howden's. 

The first property we renovated (not our home), just before we got to the finishes I invited the owner of a local estate agent round. After saying that it would all look good with what we were planning I said I'm not doing this for me I want to sell it and I wanted him to tell me honestly if there was anything else that would help to sell it that we should do.  There was a hesitation and the agent then suggested a bit more wow factor required in the kitchen and an additional shower. We did what was recommended and we used the agent to try and sell the property.  I went to hand a second set of keys in at the estate agents and was told all the staff had viewed the house and they had advertised it as property of the week. The boss had taken them all round in groups to show them what sort of thing sells and the boss was right. We had a bidding war and it sold above asking price and top end for the type and area at the time.

So yes, for me if your selling you have to know your market and do what is required to appeal to potential purchasers, even if it doesn't make any sense even from a practical point of view.

M

6 hours ago, Mattg4321 said:

Also worth looking at DIY Kitchens. Better quality than Howdens imo, having DIY fitted both. 

The only downside being the delivery can be a bit of aggro. They’re usually cheaper than Howdens though. 

Significantly cheaper than Howdens based on the quote they gave me for our utility room (£6.5k vs £2.6k) Diy-kitchens quality is just ok imo. There were a few problems with ours with missing items and poor quality finishing on two of the doors. However they sorted it out quite quickly. 

22 hours ago, nod said:

Trying not to found chauvinistic here But blokes arnt bothered if a fridge is on the left or the right Or a drawer is double or single 

The kitchen where I work is about 4 times the floor area of my house, every single thing is in the wrong place.

You just have to work with what you are given.

I limit my working area to a couple of m2.

Off to spend a few hours there now to feed the poor and needy of Cornwall.

Or is it the fat and greedy. At ten quid a sandwich, wealthy as well.

Edited by SteamyTea