Do I need an architect?

Hey guys, I've been in contact with a structural engineer in order to start the process of getting plans drawn up for some work we'd like to get done.

He's recommended that we get building regulation drawings put together by an architect, so that he can then use those for his RSJ calculations. 

I'm basically looking for some advice from people who know more than I do... do you think I need to involve an architect for this work?
I'm happy to make adjustments to our expectations if it helps the budget to stretch further.

I'm worried that an architect could put quite a dent in my budget, is it wishful thinking to think we could avoid using one?
Has anyone got idea how much I should expect building reg drawings for this kind of work to cost? Just so I have a rough idea what to expect when I request quotes this week. 

Extra info:

I know the largest wall is load bearing, but I'm not sure about the 2 small ones.
I'm happy to put a door on the kitchen to the hallway if that makes things simpler for fire regs etc

Thanks,
Mathew

Kitchen_Work_Plan_01.jpg

Kitchen_Work_Plan_02.jpg

It looks fairly simple.  You should not need an architect.  You are right that the kitchen will need a door to the hallway.  You engineer will need to take a look and see which way joists run, floor type etc.  Who is doing the work?  You could do this on a building notice rather than full plans.

• Like 1

So do you think I could ask the engineer for the plans instead and leave an architect out of the equation? 

I haven’t figured out who’s doing the work yet, I have someone in mind but I’ll reach out to a few people once I Have plans / permission.

I am hoping to go down the building notice route to keep things simple.

I’m also hoping to find someone who’s happy to handle the building work as well as the next kitchen installation in order to avoid too much back and forth between multiple parties.

It’s a little daunting so all advice is very welcome! 

Personally I think (some) architects are good for design and you have already decided on the design (mostly) so why not use an architectural technician to draw up your plans for building control. I also don’t like building notice and prefer full plans so you know from day one what’s expected.

• Like 1

I agree. The plans that you have are fine. Make a Building Notice Application showing the new steelwork. Just add a note to say that the steelwork will be fire protected to achieve 1/2hrfr.

And bye the way - show a door into the kitchen from the hall.

How much extra time could it take if we were to go the full plans route? 

I am hoping to go building notice due to the simplicity of the project but don’t want to make a silly mistake just because I’m inexperienced. 

I'm thinking I could add the door and then speak to the engineer tomorrow to ask if he can make proper plans from that ready for a building notice application. 

You do not require an Architect to produce BR drawings. The engineer should be more than capable of carrying out their own survey and producing either sketches or CAD drawings along with the necessary details and calculations.

Don’t bother with a FP application. Just submit a BN application. If your engineer cannot or does not want to do it, it’s very straight forward for you to.

12 hours ago, Mathew said:

I’m also hoping to find someone who’s happy to handle the building work as well as the next kitchen installation in order to avoid too much back and forth between multiple parties.

You're wise to aim for this, because then the person knocking the wall down and making good is accountable for thinking ahead for the kitchen stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oliwoodings said:

You're wise to aim for this, because then the person knocking the wall down and making good is accountable for thinking ahead for the kitchen stage.

Thank you! I was a little concerned about this as friends (Who aren't experts) have said it'd be better to have a builder doing the work and then a joiner/kitchen fitter doing the kitchen, but I've seen amazing kitchen examples from lots of local builders so I'm glad this also makes sense to you, I'd rather have someone problem solving the whole process and not just a portion of it.  

Update:

I've contacted my original SE asking if it'd be possible to draw up plans, do calculations and make a building notice application based on an updated design that I've attached. (with a kitchen door). 
I've also reached out to a new SE with the same request, so fingers crossed for some positive news soon. :)

Question:

If this goes through and I have plans from a structural engineer, calculations and a building notice approval. Is that then enough to speak to a local contractor and get the ball rolling on the actual work?

P.S.

I have started fleshing the design out in 3D, so that I can show this to the contractor in the hope that they can point out any concerns as early on as possible.
Is there a good area in the forums where I could share my progress on these and seek advice/feedback?

Kitchen_render_01_Small.thumb.jpg.e45cb98b097e7491487b46d053aadf0b.jpg

Thanks guys, I hope you're having a good monday.
Mathew

Kitchen_Work_Plan_KitchenDoor.jpg

Kitchen_render_02_Small.jpg

Where the old dining/kitchen wall is being replaced by a steel, you will want a "nib" or brick pier to support the steel. You can engineer this out, but obviously cost more and you need to clear about it from the start

• Like 1

If they're like me it's because surveying and drawing up floorplans is a bit dull and not the value we add! If I get a set of plans from an architect my profitability and job satisfaction is much higher.

I will do it... but begrudgingly so I'd have done the same and suggested an architect in the first instance. But agree overall, there's no reason the engineer can't do it.

38 minutes ago, Mathew said:

building notice approval

There is no such thing. A BN application is just accepted and then works can start. Only FP applications have a formal approval process.

As for documenting your progress, others appear to do that via blogs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Where the old dining/kitchen wall is being replaced by a steel, you will want a "nib" or brick pier to support the steel. You can engineer this out, but obviously cost more and you need to clear about it from the start

I'm hoping to go flush to the wall on both ends, does it add a lot of additional cost to do so? I have mentioned this to the structural engineers at least.

27 minutes ago, George said:

If they're like me it's because surveying and drawing up floorplans is a bit dull and not the value we add! If I get a set of plans from an architect my profitability and job satisfaction is much higher.

I will do it... but begrudgingly so I'd have done the same and suggested an architect in the first instance. But agree overall, there's no reason the engineer can't do it.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for giving some insight into this. Hopefully, I'm not frustrating him. 

5 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I'm hoping to go flush to the wall on both ends, does it add a lot of additional cost to do so? I have mentioned this to the structural engineers at least.

I have done this myself without a lot of cost (if at all) but your SE will advise on how it can be done or not.

• Like 1

This type of work is what I used to do.  I used an SE that was happy to work from sketches, or he would pop around to confirm things like roof structure etc.  Flush walls without the nib can usually be accommodated, but it depends on what other structural parts of the building  will take the loads, this is where the SE makes his money. 

You seem to be able to draw a sketch of what is required? put some more dimensions on this. For a simple job like this my SE would have just coped this and annotated the details. Then I would have submitted the Budling notice for the customer.

The key points you seem to have covered or have been mentioned.   

my process would be -

Get SE to confirm you can do what you want.

Take the dimensions (and details of where the stop tap is, current layout, height of window sills etc. to Wickes, B&Q, Howdens and get the details of the new kitchen sorted.  (this then allows you to understand what services need moving / installing etc.

Get quotes for the work - there can be no mis-understanding then - and no "oh I didn't price all this electrical work etc etc..."