Options for MVHR boost control

I've got a Vent Axia kinetic s MVHR, I've added the volt volt free input option and the switched live 2/3 input option without really knowing what do and which would best suit my needs.  Basically approached it with a sledgehammer to crack a peanut...  I'm at the point of running the final wiring in the build before PB so it's crucial I think that I get wires to where I need them (if I need them that is)...

If you don't mind helping a dummy and guiding me in the right direction please?

Starting with the MVHR unit, it's got a built in Humidity sensor and will do it's fan control thing as and when.

But there may be occasions when I need to increase extraction manually.  What do I need to do this?  

Can I connect to the lights in the bathroom/s to boost on light on?

For those that have been down this road, would love to hear real use feedback. 

I guess I want to cover my bases now, I guess I can always disconnect at the MVHR unit if not needed at a later date.

Mine is a little different in that in has 4 selectable speeds, and I use one of the faster ones as boost, but the principle is the same.

I use 2 of these, one upstairs, and one downstairs.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMSTBT4.html

SMSTBT4.JPG

They are meant for powering an immersion heater so have a 13A switched 230V output.  In my case I use relays to switch my volt free contacts, but if you have an option module that accepts 230V switched live in, it should connect straight to that.

One is in the kitchen to boost the mvhr when cooking, the other is on the landing to boost the mvhr when showering.

I didn't want it on the lights, you don't want to boost it every time you go for a pee.

For wiring, a 3 core & earth 1mm from mvhr to the boost switch is all you need.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I didn't want it on the lights, you don't want to boost it every time you go for a pee.

Yes, that's a downside that Mrs and I discussed, especially when its a night time visit!

1 hour ago, crispy_wafer said:

I've added the volt volt free input option and the switched live 2/3 input option without really knowing what do and which would best suit my needs.

Our unit uses volt free momentary switch and it starts a rundown timer. But once the house is dried out, you really don't need to boost. Something smelly in the kitchen we boost, and maybe when having the annual bath, don't bother after shower.

• Like 1

I was thinking of just getting my sparky to wire to a boost button in the plant room and then add a Shelly device to it and a wireless button in the kitchen - kept in a drawer -Or bathroom shelf.   Our MVHR sizing claims no boost is required, but who knows.  

Edited by PNAmble

With Vent Axia do you have the wired remote ?

Sentinel Kinetic Wired Remote Controller | Vent-Axia

This replicates the the control panel on the unit. Ours is on the landing.  And one press is boost 30 mins, 2 presses boost 60 mins, long press purge.

We hardly ever use the boost, the normal circulation is more than suitable, and is far, far superior than a fan and trickle vents.

Vent axia also have a wireless board that can be fitted into the unit, with wireless boost buttons.  They do however look like they were designed in the 1980's.

Vent Axia Wireless Transmitter Controller (fastlec.co.uk)

We have a set and have never fitted them.  They are in the garage somewhere I think.

Boost comes on when we have a shower with the humidity, 

44 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Our unit uses volt free momentary switch and it starts a rundown timer. But once the house is dried out, you really don't need to boost. Something smelly in the kitchen we boost, and maybe when having the annual bath, don't bother after shower.

I think I could quite easily live with having a setup like that, let the unit decide what it wants to do most the time, but have a couple of switches that boost for a period of time.  Just picking through the commissioning guide now to see if I can set a timer on the volt free.

I have this model of mvhr and was initially prepared to wire a wireless relay to boost it based off a humidity sensor in bathroom etc .

The reality was ; as the run ( deliberately ! ) is very short to bathroom and ensuite it automatically boosts itself within 30 seconds of a shower / bath .

So I would ‘allow’ for wiring to boost it but in practise may not be necessary.

• Thanks 1

We have a vent axia kinetic something, and I ran a controller (linked above) to main bathroom, to enable me to fiddle settings without going into loft. The lack of back light is a piss take for the cost, but it does the job.

I then installed rocker switches in each bathroom, and wired the cables back to MVHR itself.  I ran 4 core as I had spare, but it only needs 2 core to make the connection. Means if guests/fam go to the loo and want to, they can manually enable boost!

Edited by Andehh
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blooda said:

They do however look like they were designed in the 1980's.

I see what you mean. I can understand why they didn't get fitted 🙂