Presence detection

SWMBO has been ill this week so stuck at home with me 🫤😵‍💫🙄

As this prevents work on the house ( good excuse ) I’ve been fiddling with HA .

Lots of issues and fun .

I really did want a camera in the bathroom ( not for that ! ) . But was not allowed .

But now ….

https://www.aqara.com/eu/product/presence-sensor-fp2/

Arriving tomorrow ! . Though not a camera I can know how many people are in the bathroom and where they are ! . Plenty of opportunities here !

It should be noted that lots of the Chinese stuff does send cloud based date ( Tuya have been especially naughty ) . But a quick router block on port / tcp etc will stop that .

Currently have 55 zigbee devices functioning relatively well ( I’d say 96% reliability… ) 

This type of technology will ultimately replace pir based sensors in a short time .

50 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 

Most of us are the same (but it’s worrying why he wants to know how many are in the bathroom when he only lives with his wife 🤷‍♂️)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Most of us are the same (but it’s worrying why he wants to know how many are in the bathroom when he only lives with his wife 🤷‍♂️)

Because as you know from experience @joe90 - rub a dub dub 2 in the tub . Yanky yank yank 3 need a w*** 😉

Edited by Pocster

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. 

That’s why I post here . Pick a subject  not related to house building and post it on a house building forum . The man with 1 eye is king in kingdom of the blind - or some such BS 

Edited by Pocster
Knob too big
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PNAmble said:

Ok. I’ll bite.  What’s the Use Case and why not just use a Bluetooth sensor. zigbee is a solution looking for a problem.

It’s not the comms ( zigbee , z wave , Bluetooth ) - it’s a presence detector . Can detect upto 5 people ; their relative positions ! . Can also detect if you fall apparently ! . All wireless comms are a solution looking for a problem by the very nature of being wireless .

14 minutes ago, Pocster said:

. All wireless comms are a solution looking for a problem by the very nature of being wireless .

Agree. It depends upon the use case.  Spotting a leak, identifying a fire, alerting if a human falls , or recording someone using too much toilet paper are different use cases and need different solutions including comms solutions.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PNAmble said:

Agree. It depends upon the use case.  Spotting a leak, identifying a fire, alerting if a human falls , or recording someone using too much toilet paper are different use cases and need different solutions including comms solutions.  

It’s a new toy ! 

15 minutes ago, Pocster said:

It’s a new toy !

Ahh. That’s a different equation. That’s why I have 2 RPIs a, HP Wyse, Sun Ray, hue, zigbee, HomeKit, Rs323 to usb  and a Pointless ability to tweet my Mac and get a response 🤷🏻‍♂️ and now spending more hours than I have trying to bring it all together via HA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PNAmble said:

Ahh. That’s a different equation. That’s why I have 2 RPIs a, HP Wyse, Sun Ray, hue, zigbee, HomeKit, Rs323 to usb  and a Pointless ability to tweet my Mac and get a response 🤷🏻‍♂️ and now spending more hours than I have trying to bring it all together via HA.

Now you’re talking !

Toys for boys !

• Haha 1

This is good !

This is SO good .

Really impressed after an initial test setup .

Detects myself and location relative to it with impressive accuracy and speed . Got SWMBO to join in ! . No probs . Get the occasional ghosting I.e a 3rd person ! - more tinkering required . 
Not often impressed with a cheap device - but this is so cool - can’t wait for 3rd generation .

IMG_9480.png

On 24/03/2024 at 17:02, Pocster said:

I really did want a camera in the bathroom ( not for that ! ) . But was not allowed .

But now ….

Yet you said this………

• Like 1

Had some ghosting issues - but pretty much mitigated them now - with a single person at least I.e me .

Can track upto 5 people ( that will get tested over Easter weekend ) . Currently just triggers dining lights - so easy to test and no big issue if fails .

Ultimately could replace my person detection frigate tpu’s for internal lighting control anyway .

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

Had some ghosting issues - but pretty much mitigated them now - with a single person at least I.e me .

I get that from time to time too. Much more on feeld, sometimes on grindr, certainly more than a single person.

More seriously, the aqara looks neat. I've been using Steinel TruePresence KNX on the recent project, which are ok after a fashion but can't give a body count.

Shame it's Bluetooth, my Loxone server now has Matter integration (and ZWave and Wifi of course) - I really don't want to add BT to the mix

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joth said:

I get that from time to time too. Much more on feeld, sometimes on grindr, certainly more than a single person.

More seriously, the aqara looks neat. I've been using Steinel TruePresence KNX on the recent project, which are ok after a fashion but can't give a body count.

Shame it's Bluetooth, my Loxone server now has Matter integration (and ZWave and Wifi of course) - I really don't want to add BT to the mix

It’s WiFi not zigbee though does have BT . I’m waiting on matter to mature - like zigbee / z wave I think it’s gonna take time . What I do like is being ‘technology’ agnostic - so can change relatively easily as technology improves . 

• Like 1

Ha interesting, 60GHz radar - presumably repurposing sensors from the car industry. Powered by USB? Would be great to have a wired, PoE version and an api / knx etc so it can be connected to one of the non-proprietary systems.

You can get what I suspect is the chip from mouser - https://www.mouser.co.uk/new/texas-instruments/ti-mmwave-iwr6x-sensors/ Alternatively if you just want to watch one person SEEED studio do a 24GHz (and here, apropos another thread this morning, I think we use a capital G although I have forgotten why) is one I have been experimenting with! It works OK but fine tuning is proving interesting - its a pain adjusting settings while lying down to get it to detect a fall!

image.thumb.png.cf0489be03b820a3227bbd2f183a5875.png

• Like 1

On 24/03/2024 at 17:02, Pocster said:

Though not a camera I can know how many people are in the bathroom and where they are ! . Plenty of opportunities here

Those ASMR mp3s you keep sending out should 'fill in the gaps'

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I think we use a capital G although I have forgotten why

Because it is a positive multiplier

G = giga = 109

So all the little stuff is lower case, like centi and milli, with, oddly enough 10-9 not starting with a g, but with an n, for nano, but all the big stuff is upper case.

That just leaves bits and bytes.  I think they are b and B, but the telcos like to big up their service by claiming that 50 Mb/s is 50 MB/s, 8 times faster.