Gate intercom systems

Morning 

im looking for information about some form of gate intercom. 

we previously looked into this when running first fix electrical, but I’m thinking technology must have moved on a bit. 

previously I thought at the gate a person would push a button and talk into a small box on the gate, it would buzz at the house where we would have a screen and microphone that you talk to them and either get them to drop a parcel there or push a button to get the gate to open. 

this all feels a bit 1980’s and I’m sure it should come up on your phone now or go to an I pad or computer screen, whatever is on at the time. 

if this is the case, how does it all work and what sort of cable/ signal would I need at the gate/ house end. 

the distance from the gate to the house is 120m. 

I have a duct running the length of the drive with pull cord in it for running anything. 

ta very much. 

Hi Russ 

I used Gates Gates for the motors etc 

Its owner run So really helpful 

If they don’t do it They will know a man who does 

• Like 1

I've just had my GSM intercom replaced with a Hikvision intercom which is poe (power over ethernet). It means it's both networked and powered via the cat5e or 6 ethernet cable when connected to a poe network switch. Mine has a camera, microphone, number pad and proximity tags we can give to family to get in. It also comes with a monitor you fit in the house where it's programed etc. I have an app on my phone as does my other half which allows us to answer and open the gate anywhere we have a data connection. The issue you may have is distance in terms of using ethernet as traditionally it is up to 100m before needing a repeater or switch. 

The GSM intercom might be an option but there are traditional intercoms I believe that are likely to have some sort of Internet addon. 

Edited by j_s
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Anybody else know about this stuff

i thought all you nerdy types @Pocster would have some points to share. 

c,mon I’m a Luddite and need help. 

@Pocster doesn't have a gate, prefers to use the back door. 

In my case I don’t plan on having a gate opener. I might eventually of course. I was just going to use an Reolink doorbell. Like you I have a duct that runs out to that side of the house to power this. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

In my case I don’t plan on having a gate opener. I might eventually of course. I was just going to use an Reolink doorbell. Like you I have a duct that runs out to that side of the house to power this. 

Even so a gate opener is easy I.e relay , power , button . Or ( of course ) integrate a similar thing into home assistant - for 60 quid a year can have easy remote access and Alexa support I.e Alexa open gate .

Assuming @Russell griffiths wants as ‘simple’ a solution as possible though .

• Like 1

On 19/03/2024 at 18:30, Russell griffiths said:

Anybody else know about this stuff

i thought all you nerdy types @Pocster would have some points to share. 

c,mon I’m a Luddite and need help. 

@Onoff's is probably made in Scotland.

From Girders.

On a more serious note, no one has mentioned Amazon Man who will give you 3.45s then chuck whatever-it-is over the top.

I'll be looking at an electric sliding gate, but I have no answer to Amazon Man, short of putting the open-to-1m code in the parcel instructions.

Currently I say "in the porch out of sight if one answers", and since I can't get to the front door in 3.45s that is what happens. Which has worked so far.