Use of outbuilding as temporary accomodation

So, one of the options we are considering is to use a separate office/outbuilding as accommodation during the build process.  It is attractive for a number of reasons, no more rent to pay saving £1000 a month and living on site so at the sharp end during build process being the prime reasoning.  We will be doing as much of the work as possible so it really makes sense.

Current plan is for main house with a separate office/summer house at the back of the garden.  The "summer house" would end up with a "sleeping area" for those times our eldest comes back with his mates to climb down at Portland.

Internal area would be around 24m. and would contain bedroom, shower room and kitchen/living room.  The plan would be to make the bedroom a storage area accessible from outside once house is finished.

My question is really about what we draw on the plans for this and whether we would have issues with building control when it becomes obvious we are living there temporarily? 

Obviously we would build the Summer house first, it's what happens when the BCO sees this I guess would be the point at which we could have issues.  It would be connected to water and electricity supplies and main drainage.

Any thoughts welcome.

24m is too small to live in comfortably for a year or more, I currently live in 36m cabin while we build ours. 
so I would build a large ancillary lean to, you can put a freezer in it, washing machine and storage for work clothes and stuff. 
if you are building it for future use then it will have to comply with fire regs and various other things, so just build it to the correct spec. 
building control won’t care much if your living in it, just tell them it’s just at weekends when you stay over. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

24m is too small to live in comfortably for a year or more, I currently live in 36m cabin while we build ours. 
so I would build a large ancillary lean to, you can put a freezer in it, washing machine and storage for work clothes and stuff. 
if you are building it for future use then it will have to comply with fire regs and various other things, so just build it to the correct spec. 
building control won’t care much if your living in it, just tell them it’s just at weekends when you stay over. 

Is that a cabin that will stay there permanently?  How is it divided between living/sleeping/sanitary functionality?  (if you don't mind me asking)

I may be misunderstanding this, but I take it this is 1 storey only. What is your absolute limit on internal ceiling ('roof') height? If you build it as you suggest but with a mezzanine sleeping platform could that make it more workable for  year+? How are you proposing to build it?

• Like 1

IMG_4387.thumb.jpeg.3ca4c05a76acb08b706e37207acc1d89.jpeg

6x6 split 50-50 front and back so 6x3 kitchen open plan living room then 6x3 at the back with 2 small bedrooms and a tiny bathroom, we only use one bedroom the other one is a dressing room clothes hanging and drying space. 
bedroom is tight, double bed against one wall with 600mm at the bottom of the bed and 1m to the side of the bed. 

we have lived in it for two years and it’s very comfortable, the only downside is no storage. 
my wardrobe consists of a stack n store box with 2 pairs of good jeans and 3 pairs of work trousers, a few t shirts and that’s it, everything else in storage. 

1 hour ago, mjc55 said:

Is that a cabin that will stay there permanently?  How is it divided between living/sleeping/sanitary functionality?  (if you don't mind me asking)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just thinking back to our first flat and that was 30m2 (mind you I do weigh about 25% more than in 1981!) and that was more than adequate for us then!

It also included a bath not a shower!

Edited by mjc55

Our static caravan was 28 square metres.  3 of us survived in that for 18 months.  BUT the house shell was already up and wind and watertight, so plenty of dry storage, a second loo available in the house, laundry set up in the house and an office with my computer etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mjc55 said:

The "summer house" would end up with a "sleeping area" for those times our eldest comes back with his mates to climb down at Portland.

If it's got sleeping accommodation it will likely need Building Control Approval anyway.

• Like 1

If it's got sleeping accommodation it will likely need Building Control Approval anyway.

If it's a summer house with sofa beds which are very occasionally used, who'd know? who'd care?

• Like 3

We refurbished a Victorian coach house which is in our garden to live in when we demolish the main house and do the self build. Since we were creating habitable accommodation from what was a derelict building, we involved building control. The coach house is finished but I haven't got them back yet for the final inspection. We appointed an independent approved inspector and will get a Final Certificate which I think conveyancing solicitors will likely ask for when the house next changes hands. It wasn't a big deal and the building inspector was a useful source of information to make sure it was done right. Having building control involved might also put your builder in the right frame of mind when making construction decisions.

• Like 1

Living in the summer house has little to do with building control, unless you want to get it signed off as accommodation for use in the future, and they would only know if you told them.

Plenty of people, live in accommodation, which is not signed off, our BO was quite surprised we hadn't moved in to our self build before sign off.  

And plenty of people live in accommodation not signed by building reg's, tents, caravan's old properties, unfinished new builds, unfished renovations, etc.

The issue may be with the planning department, whether you need planning permission for the mentioned summer house as temporary accommodation, then of course they will be wanting their Council Tax.   You may need planning permission if you intend to use the summer house for accommodation, even temporarily, as you may need to get planning permission to use a caravan on your drive for accommodation.  Lots of "mays".

Best say nowt unless asked, being prepared to stump up with some council tax if asked*

* This of course is not legal advise 😀 

Edited by Blooda
  • Like 1