What do you think of the aira heat pump and the way of paying for it?

Quite often when companies sell you a product on staged payments, they are more interested in the commission they receive from the finance houses.  This was very much the case with car sales 30 years ago, the finance commission was greater than the sales profit.

The trouble with this is that it leads to mis selling, and that does absolutely no one any favours.

The UK over the last 20 years or so has had similar initiatives, but they have all failed.  Roof for Rent PV was a classic, as was the Green Investment Bank (2012 - 2017).

I can remember many conversations over at the 'other place' about schemes that lend you money to invest in domestic RE and then you pay it back with a slightly higher energy unit cost.  The idea being that overall, your annual bill is lower.  Never happened.

Then we had the FiTs and RHI.  Now the FiT was a success, when it paid 3 times the unit price, now people complain that they only get a third of the unit price, so not worth installing PV.

If you want a heat pump, go out and buy one, avoid all the government incentives and just do your own research on prices.  While that may not help 'the little old pensioner neighbour', it may help you.

If you don't have the knowledge to make a decision, read up on it more.  None of us where born with an innate understanding of thermodynamics, or poetry, for that matter.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

https://www.idealhome.co.uk/house-manual/home-energy/aira-heat-pump

It's time for us to get a heat pump and money is getting stretched. Noticed this, what do you think? Quality wise first.

When I compared my boiler and ASHP install. If I had just installed the ASHP and not the boiler, my overall cost delta, would have been an additional £500 for the heat pump. No grants taken.

New build, heating system and plumbing is the same cost, cylinder the same cost. So the only change for me was the cost of the ASHP over the boiler I purchased and some additional outside pipework.

Shop around. You really don't need to pay Vaillant prices.

• Like 1

Hi, I notice on the picture it has a small buffer / low loss header installed.  Is this a specific requirement for Mitsubishi Ecodans?   My preference for our install is open loop no low loss header, underfloor manifold pumps, mixer etc.

Price wise look at other thread, just about to update with brilliant quote / method of obtaining BUS grant etc

• Like 1