Dehumidifier in bathroom

Currently I use a dehumidifier on an extension lead into our windowless bathroom in conjunction with the extractor fan. It’s sited on a cupboard, about 82cm from the nearest tap.

Would it be ok to drill through the wall to use the plug socket in the next door bedroom? Obviously the plug would need to be rewired, which seems to be frowned upon these days. 

No MHRV here. It’s a pain to drag the extension lead around the door, but I resent chucking all the heat out with the fan. Any other suggestions/legals to be aware of,  please? 

Edited by Jilly

You can get heat recovery extractors.

Failing that you could put a fused spur in the bathroom as long as it's outside of zones and protected by RCD - I'm not a spark, so you would need to check exact regs

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jilly said:

..., but I resent chucking all the heat out with the fan. ...

The dehumidifier you use also uses electricity - and doesn't recover any heat. 

I'm wincing when I write this..... have you tried leaving the door open after ablution? Keep the heat (for a bit) and costs you nowt.

• Thanks 1

If your fans not doing to the job and you need to dehumidifier.

Your fan is rubbish and needs to be replaced. Cheap ones are cheap for a reason...our last house the builder installed cheap no brand intermittent extract fan and after the first year it would not hold a piece toilet roll in place running at full speed. My first port of call would be the extract fan. Greenwood CV2GIP are ace through wall or ducted.

• Thanks 1

First check the fan is extracting (enough suck to hold a sheet of paper up to the ceiling when on)  If not it is usually the poorly installed cheap nasty flexible ducting that is full of condensation and hence blocked.

• Thanks 1

In a closed space , the discarded air needs to be replaced through an open door or under it if there is enough gap. But a corrugated duct and restrictions such as bends and a small outlet are likeliest.

Has it ever worked properly?

Original question..

Yes you can plug it in the adjacent room.

• Thanks 1

I use a dehumidifier to dry washing in a small utility with no window.  Normally I don't have the extractor on.

The cable through the wall plugged into a socket the other side is fine, especially if you don't need the dehumidifier elsewhere.

• Thanks 1