is this ok for plasterboard

lizzie

9 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Every delay is a kick in the nuts, but I think when you reach the plastering stage, it's at this point that you will regret letting your standards go in years to come.

Very true. That's one part of our build where we were lucky to get good plasterboarders and an excellent plasterer.

Good morning all and thank you so much for all your help. Couldnt have resolved it without your input.

I stood my ground, asked for it to be reboarded in the problem areas, screaming match with plasterer  ensued, to my total shock he was yelling at me , very unpleasant and point blank refused to rectify so I told him do it or leave there and then.  He decided in the end to do it. I was very glad I had someone  there with me because I felt really uncomfortable being yelled at by this man.  He is now scimming and his comment about being a better plasterer than a boarder rings true. He has some others coming to do the boarding now and he is concentrating on the plastering. I have said I am inspecting every stage before it is passed for scim now.

I did manage to get hold of an experienced contracts manager from a large finishings company and he came out the evening  before the confrontation and gave me his opinion (rubbish job) so I felt there really was weight to my argument, gave me a bit of confidence.

The local area manager from British Gypsum has also been very helpful and I have his direct phone number and he has said any issues with them and the habito he will be happy to speak to them on the phone there and then. He was as horrified as everyone else at those pictures.

I am so grateful for all the help.  Thank you once again. Fingers crossed we will get a decent job now.

Liz

• Like 3

Great news Lizzie, sounds like a satisfactory outcome on a crappy situation.

That said, it's unacceptable to be shouted at in this situation. I know I'm a bit soft, but I'm not sure I could personally work with someone who'd reacted like this to reasonable feedback on unreasonable workmanship. 

Also, where is your project manager in all of this? Really, having it out with a tradesperson over shoddy workmanship shouldn't be your job!

Anyway, well done for standing your ground. I'm pleased he apparently knows how to skim!

7 minutes ago, jack said:

Great news Lizzie, sounds like a satisfactory outcome on a crappy situation.

That said, it's unacceptable to be shouted at in this situation. I know I'm a bit soft, but I'm not sure I could personally work with someone who'd reacted like this to reasonable feedback on unreasonable workmanship. 

Also, where is your project manager in all of this? Really, having it out with a tradesperson over shoddy workmanship shouldn't be your job!

Anyway, well done for standing your ground. I'm pleased he apparently knows how to skim!

Yep I agree on all counts!

Thank you

• Like 1

Sounds thoroughly unpleasant, well done for facing up to it- it's a situation I hate to be in myself and have fortunately only had one slight argument with a contractor over the course of the build. That was a good idea to get the Gyproc guys on side as well since their opinion should carry a lot of weight.

@lizzie

Good to hear you have got it resolved, although I'm sure not a pleasant experience for you.  The big issue here has to be your PM.  It strikes me he isn't doing what you are paying him for, and if that's the case, the question has to be what service is he providing and should you continue to employ him?

:o The audacity for him to be shouting at you?!!!!!!    Probably not used to a 'mere woman' (and whom knows nothing about boarding) complaining about his fine workmanship!! I would have been tempted to tell him to pack up and go in any case but I guess you have to think of the long term and any delays that would have caused trying to find a replacement.

If he's on any of those findacowboybuilder sites, it may be worth putting your comments on there.

But well done! In a few months I no doubt will be putting my plasterboarding fiasco on here too!

Edited by oranjeboom
  • Thanks 1

I still think if he had started the shouty match with me he would have been off the site.  Thankfully I have never had that with anyone on our site.

I did have a "heated discussion" with the joiner on a house I wired last year. That was very unpleasant. I nearly walked off the job as I found it almost impossible to work with him, it was only the fact I personally new the owner  of the house that I stuck it out and carried on, trying to find out what days the joiner would not be there so I could work without having to interact with him.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

:o The audacity for him to be shouting at you?!!!!!!    Probably not used to a 'mere woman' (and whom knows nothing about boarding) complaining about his fine workmanship!! I would have been tempted to tell him to pack up and go in any case but I guess you have to think of the long term and any delays that would have caused trying to find a replacement.

If he's on any of those findacowboybuilder sites, it may be worth putting your comments on there.

But well done! In a few months I no doubt will be putting my plasterboarding fiasco on here too!

Yep you want to avoid the cowboys:

patel-singh-builders-youve-tried-the-cowboys-now-try-the-indians-feded-27852928.png

• Haha 2