Intumescent paint for use on OSB – who would you recommend?

Hi,
I’m looking into using Intumescent paint for use on OSB as an internal wall finish that needs to be fire-rated in Scotland.

Can anyone recommend a supplier whose product has accredited data from an independent body such as BBA or BRE to verify that the paint product would achieve the required fire resistance on OSB sheeting?

7 minutes ago, SimonD said:

Get in touch with either Envirograf or Flametect, both companies of which provide coatings but it needs technical input for the corrct certification.

Thanks, I’ve just got in contact with both so I’l see what they suggest?

• 1 month later...

No joy as yet, the issue seems to be that Building standards require 30 min fire resistance, primarily because I hope to have a small mezzanine floor area for sleeping, which so far, no manufacturer can apparently meet.

2.3.1. Elements of structure. (The internal wall framing will be supporting the first floor). I assume a Short (30min) fire resistance duration will be required to the internal wall framing and underside of the first-floor structure?

Yes, the short duration is normally required for elements of structure under 2.3.1, except in a single-storey building.  I would say that this is not a single-storey building because of the mezzanine floor therefore it is required here. 

Struggling to find a viable alternative to plasterboard, which I would like to avoid if at all possible (single-use product, non-reusable or repurpose and you have to pay to dispose of it)

On 02/03/2024 at 17:34, SimonD said:

Get in touch with either Envirograf

Plus one for Envirograf - they will help you if they can they will ask you for such things as the surface material - in your case OSB, the fire rating needed and the area to be covered, they then work out the amount of paint and sell you that amount - they won't sell you less and will specify the number of coats of  paint. Then once you have done the job they will send you a certificate you can shown to building control. It feels like a faff but its certified work you can actually do yourself. We have used it on all the structural metal work in our build - very limited amount to be fair. They will even give you stickers you can put on the finished surface warning people not to strip it! 

It is possible, I wired a whole house where the owner wanted OSB as the wall finish everywhere.  The builder found a clear coating that was acceptable to building control, but sorry I don't know what it was.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It is possible, I wired a whole house where the owner wanted OSB as the wall finish everywhere.  The builder found a clear coating that was acceptable to building control, but sorry I don't know what it was.

Don’t suppose you still have their details to ask? 🤣

Just enquiring about 9mm Magply Euroclass A1 Non-Combustible Board 2400 x 1200mm as an option

33 minutes ago, Chris HB said:

Struggling to find a viable alternative to plasterboard, which I would like to avoid if at all possible (single-use product, non-reusable or repurpose and you have to pay to dispose of it)

You shouldn't need to take it off for the life of the building. 

On 02/03/2024 at 17:14, Chris HB said:

using Intumescent paint for use on OSB

Having seen it applied on our doors of the last house, I would avoid if possible as the surface finish is pants

On 02/03/2024 at 17:34, SimonD said:

Get in touch with either Envirograf or Flametect, both companies of which provide coatings but it needs technical input for the corrct certification.

I will try Envirograf again, as I haven't heard back at the moment.

2 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

You shouldn't need to take it off for the life of the building. 

Having seen it applied on our doors of the last house, I would avoid if possible as the surface finish is pants

True, I’m just not a fan of plasterboard as a surface finish. I’m the 0.01% who wants something else 🤣

I only once used intumescent paint on chipboard. The solvents dissolved the glue and the flakes of timber came loose from the face.

So I discussed it with the BCO and we painted it with Sandtex, because it stuck without dissolving the resins, and didn't burn.   No certificates or anything just common sense. 

It looks like sandtex though.

There was a specific reason I needed lots of OSB left exposed. 

What's your reason? 

I switched to using 18mm mdf in subsequent projects with this detail. Intumescent sticks to it fine. Envirograf were the preferred supplier, though loyalty and because they'd mix any colour.

• Like 1

You can get fire retardant ply and OSB

Ply here - 

https://sheetmaterialswholesale.co.uk/sheet-materials/plywood/fire-retardant-plywood/

OSB here, I think this product is just coming available -

https://www.dhhpanelproducts.co.uk/product/smartply-max-fr-build-osb3/

You can also get fire retardant MDF -

https://sheetmaterialswholesale.co.uk/fire-retardant-mdf-board-12-x-1220-x-2440mm/