Confused on price ASHP

3 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/heat-pumps/planning-permission-air-source-heat-pump

Unless you can find equivalent standards, then PD seems to be wholly dependant on MCS standards

equivalent being manufacturer, either way the INSTALL is not MCS dependant and therefore doesn't effect PD. Purely the hardware spec.

1 minute ago, Dillsue said:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/common-projects/heat-pumps/planning-permission-air-source-heat-pump

Unless you can find equivalent standards, then PD seems to be wholly dependant on MCS standards

But MCS standard done by anyone other MCS is the equivalent.  After all a MCS Main Contractor can dish out just about the whole scope to any third party, sub contracted by an MCS main contractor.

34 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

all that i can see is the hardware must be to MCS or EQUIVILENT spec. Nothing about a particular private company having to install it.

so no to be clear, PD is not dependent on MCS at all. 

That interpretation makes no sense as it excludes any noise requirement for the installation, and it's also inconsistent with the wording of the legislation which specifically refers to 'the MCS planning standards'.  

So to be clear PD is dependent on MCS 

Edited by JamesPa

29 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

But MCS standard done by anyone other MCS is the equivalent.  

Possibly (I'm saying possibly because it's a legal question not a question of fact, so the answer may not be what you would think/want), but the LPA, if they choose to enforce, will ask for the MCS certificate and if you can't produce one will decide it doesn't comply.  At this point your only option is to take the LPA to court to challenge their view.  You would then have to prove that the standards are equivalent to the satisfaction of a judge.  The judge won't have scooby, so he/she will rely to a large extent on expert witnesses.  They will come from the LPA or MCS unless you employ your own.  Even if you do employ your own the judge could seem that 'standards' means recognised standards and dismiss your defence at which point your only course of action is to appeal this interpretation in a higher court.

So you might be successful in demonstrating what you claim, but it's going to cost you time, money and a lot of anxiety.

The only other argument you might make is that any non compliance is immaterial to the situation.  Again your LPA will dismiss this argument so you will end up on court.  I don't know what the case history says about whether requirements that are immaterial in a particular case matter when deciding if the PD rules are met or not, you would need a planning lawyer to answer this!

Edited by JamesPa

27 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

But MCS standard done by anyone other MCS is the equivalent.  

The MCS standard requires install by an MCS registered contractor. If you were going to claim DIY to all other aspects of the MCS standard was the equivalent, then whoever did the work would likely need to meet the requirements of MCS registration whilst not actually being registered?? Otherwise how do you demonstrate equivalent compliance with the section that requires the work be done by an MCS registered contractor??

I think installing to manufacturers requirements would be equivalent for most of the MCS. Can't see a way around the noise without undertaking a site noise assessment and finding some standard to compare it to.

3 minutes ago, George said:

installing to manufacturers requirements would be equivalent for most of the MCS.

In fact they would always trump any building standards requirements. Except a noise requirement and anyone with half a brain can work through MCS-020 noise flow sheet.

23 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

In fact they would always trump any building standards requirements. Except a noise requirement and anyone with half a brain can work through MCS-020 noise flow sheet.

Planning and building regs are completely separate branches of law so best not to conflate the two!

1 hour ago, Dillsue said:

The MCS standard requires install by an MCS registered contractor. If you were going to claim DIY to all other aspects of the MCS standard was the equivalent, then whoever did the work would likely need to meet the requirements of MCS registration whilst not actually being registered?? Otherwise how do you demonstrate equivalent compliance with the section that requires the work be done by an MCS registered contractor??

Quite so.  Your only avenue here so far as I can see would be to argue that this is immaterial in the situation.  I have no idea whether that would succeed in court but I wouldn't want to rely on it if my heating depended on it.

Edited by JamesPa

35 minutes ago, HughF said:

Surely retrospective planning is the way to go if you get caught….

Possibly.  But LPAs can (and in the case of my lpa do) impose (much) more stringent requirements on requests for express permission than those which apply to PD.  So there is no guarantee that permission will be granted, even if the pd requirement iset, because the criteria are not linked.

Edited by JamesPa

There's no consistency to this.

My proposed HP is too big for PD, but the LPA have granted permission without any reference at all to noise standards, MCS or otherwise.

Still open to challenge but that would have to be under the legislatation about nuisance, not any aspect of planning law.

5 hours ago, HughF said:

Surely retrospective planning is the way to go if you get caught….

Within 4 years. After that, you are in the clear, like most other planning breaches.

7 hours ago, JamesPa said:

That interpretation makes no sense as it excludes any noise requirement for the installation, and it's also inconsistent with the wording of the legislation which specifically refers to 'the MCS planning standards'.  

So to be clear PD is dependent on MCS 

Im inclined to agree with this interpretation.

39 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Within 4 years. After that, you are in the clear, like most other planning breaches.

True ... unless (it seems from a quick read of the relevant legislation) you have made deliberate efforts to conceal it, in which case a magistrate can override the time limits.  I wonder how this plays out if you have erected a screen to reduce the noise impact to your neighbours?

Hopefully a case that is unlikely ever to get to court!

10 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Sweet…. Good to know. One neighbour has complained about the noise but we’re on good terms and I don’t think it’s an issue. It’s 20m from her window, at least, with two fences between.

2 hours ago, HughF said:

Sweet…. Good to know. One neighbour has complained about the noise but we’re on good terms and I don’t think it’s an issue. It’s 20m from her window, at least, with two fences between.

Depends who they complained too. Its it was to you, thats fine, if it was to the council, that, effectively, stops the clock. Though if they take no action, thats debateable.

3 hours ago, HughF said:

One neighbour has complained about the noise

That's surprising, you must have a very noisy heat pump. I can barely hear mine from 5m away never mind 20m and two fences

4 minutes ago, PhilT said:

That's surprising, you must have a very noisy heat pump. I can barely hear mine from 5m away never mind 20m and two fences

I was thinking the same. My neighbour has a very noisy heat pump for their swimming pool.  There is no fence to speak of and I can hear it from 10m but no way from 20m.  Maybe the neighbour has super powers when it comes to hearing.

More seriously, if 20m isn't far enough there is no hope for the UK rollout.  To my mind we have to get over the fact that heat pumps make a different noise to all the other noises that disturb our silence and which we all tolerate, accept it unless it's truly extreme or tonal, and move on.

It’s very quiet, I think it’s considerably quieter than the gas boiler 3 doors down.…. It’s on the mcs database, Cool Energy 9kW. 

She’s only mentioned it to me and we get on well so I’m not concerned.

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Quick update. EPS Plumbing in Falmouth installed an "Ideal" 8kw heat pump, a pre plumbed 300ltr tank and connected it to my underfloor system using the manifold supplied me. 

Providing the correct information to satisfy the Grant was a bit tiresome but I was able to explain the property name changes and title inconsistencies and they seemed to have acted like real humans. 

The heating is working great. I highly recommend EPS to anyone in this area. Cost to me. £2100..

Of course the MCS documentation is going to say it has to be installed by an MCS installer.

It's a bit like car manufacturers used to say that you MUST have servicing carried out by dealer network to maintain the warranty and look how that ended....

I think the real question is what "equivalent standard" means and what an MCS installer does that no-one else is capable of doing?

If challenged I think it would be reasonable to ask the LPA to provide information on what they viewed to be an equivalent standard.

A response of simply saying it doesn't meet the MCS planning requirements wouldn't be sufficient because you wouldn't be declaring that it did, only that the install had been installed to the same standard and was thus equivalent to.

If it went to court I would expect any judge to ask MCS to provide details of exactly what their registered installers did so a view could be reached on what equivalent meant.

1 hour ago, OldSpot said:

Of course the MCS documentation is going to say it has to be installed by an MCS installer.

It's a bit like car manufacturers used to say that you MUST have servicing carried out by dealer network to maintain the warranty and look how that ended....

I think the real question is what "equivalent standard" means and what an MCS installer does that no-one else is capable of doing?

If challenged I think it would be reasonable to ask the LPA to provide information on what they viewed to be an equivalent standard.

A response of simply saying it doesn't meet the MCS planning requirements wouldn't be sufficient because you wouldn't be declaring that it did, only that the install had been installed to the same standard and was thus equivalent to.

If it went to court I would expect any judge to ask MCS to provide details of exactly what their registered installers did so a view could be reached on what equivalent meant.

Of course you are right but...who is going to go to that much trouble and risk to replace a boiler.  Almost nobody is the answer.

The problem is that it says what it says and the government has allowed, probably encouraged this closed shop.  The possibility of breaking the closed shop in the courts is there, but nobody so far has bothered to do that, and I'd be willing to bet nobody will.

If a neighbour complains (eg about noise) then the path of least resistance for your local authority to placate the neighbour is to threaten enforcement under planning legislation not environmental health legislation.  So by default that is what they will do whether or not there is a genuine case.  That puts you on the defensive and if the install isn't under MCS in a position where you have to take the matter to court to avoid an enforcement notice.  That's sufficient disincentive that most will cave in to the closed shop.

Edited by JamesPa

1 hour ago, OldSpot said:

That has been my view also. Me installing an ASHP within the rules of permitted development, following the noise and install guidance by MCS, is the equivalent.

49 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

That has been my view also. Me installing an ASHP within the rules of permitted development, following the noise and install guidance by MCS, is the equivalent.

...Until your neighbour complains and your lpa takes the path of least resistance (see my iimmediately previous post).

Of course if your neighbour isn't likely to complain it's irrelevant,  but so is every planning rule if nobody is going to complain.

Basically what I'm saying is, if planning rules are likely to matter in your specific circumstances (because there is someone who might complain), them the mcs closed shop matters, and ignoring it is a major risk. 

On the other hand if planning rules are unlikely to matter then of course the mcs closed shop doesn't matter.

Most UK houses/flats are sufficiently close to their neighbours that someone might complain.  So in practice, as a part of a policy aimed at encouraging the general roll out of heat pumps, the mcs closed shop does matter (even if it doesn't in your specific case).

It's important to hear in mind that the starting point is that development is unlawful without consent (express or by pd).  So the burden of proof is on the developer not the LPA.  

Edited by JamesPa