Confused on price ASHP

1 hour ago, JamesPa said:

mcs closed shop

That's the whole point really, closed shops or monopolies are not allowed, hence the wording or equivalent. A competent person following a set of procedures is directly equivalent, even if they don't pay for a closed shop membership. It's exactly as stated below.

3 hours ago, OldSpot said:

LPA to provide information on what they viewed to be an equivalent standard.

A response of simply saying it doesn't meet the MCS planning requirements wouldn't be sufficient because you wouldn't be declaring that it did, only that the install had been installed to the same standard and was thus equivalent to.

10 hours ago, JohnMo said:

That's the whole point really, closed shops or monopolies are not allowed, hence the wording or equivalent. A competent person following a set of procedures is directly equivalent, even if they don't pay for a closed shop membership. It's exactly as stated below.

There are plenty of legal private monopolies for example water companies, power distribution companies.

The point though is that, even if you are right (which it would take a court to decide), the burden of proof lies with the developer because the starting point is that development without consent is unlawful.  Most people aren't going to be willing to take the risk that they have to go to court over what is functionally a boiler replacement, they will simply fit a new gas boiler, or use MCS.

So whether or not you are right it's a closed shop monopoly in practice.

I am far from convinced a lower court would rule in favour of the developer.  The law is pretty clear and MCS will be there arguing every single detail of their requirements, which the developer will not have met (albeit that most are irrelevant, but the judge won't understand that). They will also argue that for a standard to be equivalent it must be recognised by a standards body.  A lower court may well take this at face value and rule in favour of the LPA.  Perhaps your argument would stand a chance on appeal, but by that point most punters will be too stressed to bother.

There are plenty of legal private monopolies for example water companies, power distribution companies.

The point though is that, even if you are right (which it would take a court to decide), the burden of proof lies with the developer because the starting point is that development without consent is unlawful.  Most people aren't going to be willing to take the risk that they have to go to court over what is functionally a boiler replacement, they will simply fit a new gas boiler, or use MCS.

So whether or not you are right it's a closed shop monopoly in practice.

I am far from convinced a lower court would rule in favour of the developer.  The law is pretty clear and MCS will be there arguing every single detail of their requirements, which the developer will not have met (albeit that most are irrelevant, but the judge won't understand that). They will also argue that for a standard to be equivalent it must be recognised by a standards body.  A lower court may well take this at face value and rule in favour of the LPA.  Perhaps your argument would stand a chance on appeal, but by that point most punters will be too stressed to bother.

Thinking further about this, there is a low risk way to resolve it, namely to apply for a certificate of lawful development stating the methods to be used.  If it's approved then that's that, if it's refused you can appeal to the planning inspectorate (or Scottish equivalent).  In some ways the latter would be helpful because a planning inspector decision in one case is strong evidence for future cases.  

That's the 'safe' way to proceed without MCS.

If I weren't already locked in battle with my lpa I'd be tempted!

Hi James,

Thanks for highlighting this as it is thought provoking and forearmed is forewarned!

15 hours ago, JamesPa said:

...Until your neighbour complains and your lpa takes the path of least resistance (see my iimmediately previous post).

Yes, but if your neighbour complained about noise and your ASHP install was shown to have the same or less noise than was required by MCS then it could be demonstrated that it was to an equivalent standard.

I suspect the LPA would then be content and would be on shaky ground if they tried to take enforcement action.

A court would also take a very dim view of the LPA if they took legal action without first trying to resolve the issue first. To do so would require the LPA to provide information on why they didn't think the install was of an equivalent standard.

Backing this up is that the guidance to LPA's is that they should try to resolve the issue without resorting to enforcement action.

In general, any action should be proportional and be in the public interest. Simply because an install hasn't been carried out by an MCS registered installer, without evidence as to why it was required, would I doubt pass these tests - especially if the LPA also failed to define equivalent.

The guidance also says that action should not be taken if "there is a trivial or technical breach of control which causes no material harm or adverse impact on the amenity of the site or the surrounding area". So again, if the install has been carried out to a high standard then it is unlikely the LPA would have grounds for enforcement action simply because MCS aren't or weren't involved.

Granted this is contained in UK Government guidance to LPA's but as with nearly all UK Government guidance, you should follow it unless there are overiding reasons not to.

My final thought on this would be that if you could only install via the MCS Planning conditions route then there would be no need for "equivalent" in the text. By including it, there is an acknowldgement that there is another route but it is clearly up to the installer to ensure they do a proper job.

So, as I started , thanks for highlighting this. It's likely that many previously believed you can simply install under PD without consideration which is very much not the case!

Cheers.

Edited by OldSpot

2 hours ago, JamesPa said:

to apply for a certificate of lawful development stating the methods to be used

AFAIUI a Certificate of Lawful Development is a way of regularising something that has already been built (e.g. our loft extension which was not constructed as designed). The process is anyway much the same as applying for full PP in advance and IMO this latter is the way to go.

It is what we have done for our 12kW HP which falls outside the deemed PP on account of its size. I was careful to specify it would comply with the noise aspects (only) of the MCS standard. This was to give scope for a non-MCS install. The LA granted permission with a condition that it is installed according to the plans, but with no mention of noise or any other conditions which I thought was surprisingly lax.

The fly in the ointment is that the high end HP mfrs will only offer extended warranties via their own approved installers who are almost invariably MCS registered. Hence I have recently had site visits from 3 more in an attempt to get some competition on price.

1 hour ago, OldSpot said:

Yes, but if your neighbour complained about noise and your ASHP install was shown to have the same or less noise than was required by MCS then it could be demonstrated that it was to an equivalent standard.

I suspect the LPA would then be content and would be on shaky ground if they tried to take enforcement action.

If there is a complaint about noise then as others would point out it becomes an Environmental Health matter and would be dealt with under quite separate legislation. The fact that the MCS standard and hence planning law was complied with (whether by an MCS installer or not) might help but would not necessarily be a complete defence.

1 hour ago, OldSpot said:

if you could only install via the MCS Planning conditions route then there would be no need for "equivalent" in the text.

It seems this wording was put in to allow for the possibility of other standards bodies writing equivalent standards but AFAIK none exist though @JamesPa has in the past referenced some entity which is working on an "equivalent" scheme.

IMO it would have been better if e.g. BSI or BSRIA were responsible for the standards rather than a body with a very clear vested interest.

Edited by sharpener

56 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It might be worth asking the local planning office if they have an equivalent standard.

They can just say 'no' to this question and with some justification on the basis that the starting point is that development requires consent (and is otherwise unlawful) and thus it's for the developer to show compliance not the other way round.

4 minutes ago, sharpener said:

AFAIUI a Certificate of Lawful Development is a way of regularising something that has already been built

No.  That's retrospective planning consent.  A certificate of lawful development is a means to ask the LPA to confirm formally that the proposed development can be carried out under permitted development rules.

8 minutes ago, sharpener said:

If there is a complaint about noise I think @JamesPa would also point out that it becomes an Environmental Health matter

It can be an eh matter but the local authority can also choose to pursue it as a planning matter, which is likely to be easier for them so is actually quite probable.  It's in fact almost certainly the first thing they will check!

Edited by JamesPa

10 minutes ago, sharpener said:

IMO it would have been better if e.g. BSI or BSRIA were responsible for the standards rather than a body with a very clear vested interest.

Better still if the noise standard, which is the only thing relevant to planning, were written expressly into the legislation.  Sadly the government took the lazy way out in a way that gave a private closed shop an opportunity to clean up.

15 minutes ago, JamesPa said:

the local authority can also choose to pursue it as a planning matter

Presumably they would make a site visit and if it appears from a quick look that the MCS requirements regarding distance, screening etc are met then not go down that route. I was alluding to yr own particular concern that the EH people can and do apply much lower noise thresholds than MCS.

12 minutes ago, sharpener said:

Presumably they would make a site visit and if it appears from a quick look that the MCS requirements regarding distance, screening etc are met then not go down that route. I was alluding to yr own particular concern that the EH people can and do apply much lower noise thresholds than MCS.

I think they will be motivated to show to the complainant that they were doing something, whilst doing as little as possible.  So most likely they will check if there is express consent then, when they find there isn't, ask for the MCS certificate and/or noise calculation.  If you can't produce this they may go immediately to a threat of enforcement action.  That then puts you on the defensive and puts them in a position that they can tell the complainant they are taking robust action.  At this point it becomes your problem to prove that the development is legal, not the other way round (because the starting point is that development without consent is unlawful). 

For the LPA that's a lot easier than trying to enforce under eh law, where they have to show that you are unreasonably causing a nuisance.

That's the risk, quite severe if your LPA is determined because there are a couple of additional gotchas in the PD rules that they could invoke.

My experience with my lpa is that the planning people apply much more restrictive rules than eh could possibly get away with, but that will differ from LPA to LPA.  The point is that if the LPA can claim it's not PD because you haven't got MCS then you are immediately on the defensive.  You will either need to prove them wrong or seek express consent, to which they may apply much more stringent rules 

Edited by JamesPa

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

When I installed my ASHP the documentation stated noise levels at several distances 🤷‍♂️(like most drill/tools etc do )

Those figures ('noise pressure') are generally pretty meaningless because they assume ideal conditions.  The MCS calculation starts from 'noise power' which is the total noise  energy emitted from the unit and is independent of the surroundings, and then takes account (fairly crudely) of obstructions, reflective surfaces and distance to give a situation specific noise pressure.

23 minutes ago, JamesPa said:

is independent of the surroundings, and then takes account (fairly crudely) of obstructions, reflective surfaces and distance to give a situation specific noise pressure.

That contradicts itself, it’s either independent of surroundings or not!, if it takes into account the surroundings it can only be done after it’s installed which makes it impossible to find out if it meets regs or not before installation surely. 🤷‍♂️

39 minutes ago, joe90 said:

That contradicts itself, it’s either independent of surroundings or not!, if it takes into account the surroundings it can only be done after it’s installed which makes it impossible to find out if it meets regs or not before installation surely. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry perhaps I truncated the explanation too much.  The noise power, which is the starting point for the calculation, is independent of the surroundings.  The calculation results in a noise pressure, which is dependent on the surroundings.  The noise pressure is derived from the noise power by including adjustments for distance, reflective surfaces and obstructions all of which are known in advance of installation (for any given installation).  It's all set out in mcs-020

Edited by JamesPa

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Sound power is neither room-dependent nor distance-dependent, being a property of a sound source equal to the total power emitted by that source in all directions. Sound pressure is a property of a point in space at a distance from the sound source. Example, a heat pump operates at a sound power of x watts, and at a distance of one metre a decibel meter records a sound pressure level of y dB

6 minutes ago, PhilT said:

Sound power is neither room-dependent nor distance-dependent, being a property of a sound source equal to the total power emitted by that source in all directions. Sound pressure is a property of a point in space at a distance from the sound source. Example, a heat pump operates at a sound power of x watts, and at a distance of one metre a decibel meter records a sound pressure level of y dB

Indeed so.  Although to make things confusing both are frequently expressed in dB (relative to separate reference levels established by convention - 20uPa sound pressure, 1pW sound power I believe.).  

Edited by JamesPa

41 minutes ago, JamesPa said:

20uPa sound pressure

Or IIRC in old money 0.0002 dynes/cm^2 (I think that's where the figure 2 comes from) being a round-number approximation to the threshold of human hearing.

Edited by sharpener

53 minutes ago, JamesPa said:

The calculation results in a noise pressure, which is dependent on the surroundings. 

So are you saying an MCS person would do a survey of the area and give a yes or no on whether it’s acceptable or not?

40 minutes ago, joe90 said:

So are you saying an MCS person would do a survey of the area and give a yes or no on whether it’s acceptable or not?

For installation under permitted development the noise calculation is done by the MCS installer, yes.  Basically he/she must survey the immediate vicinity and do a calculation based on what he/she finds.  The resulting calculation must meet a noise criterion set out in mcs-020 and the installation as a whole must meet several other criteria specified in law for it to be 'permitted development' (IE for it not to require express planning consent).

To be clear the criteria to be met are set out in law and mcs-020, the role of the MCS installer is to do the noise calculation and compare it with the noise criterion.  They are probably supposed to check the other criteria as well (as part of their professional standards requirement, not as a matter of law), I have no idea whether they do.  

Where express planning consent is sought, it's for the lpa to decide what criteria (noise and other) to apply, based on the 'local plan' (a set of planning rules created by the LPA) and 'other material considerations'.   The two sets of rules may be quite different, although if an lpa imposes rules which are significantly more onerous than the pd rules it may be possible to argue that 'fallback' is a material consideration (basically an argument that if the lpa refuses express consent, a worse development could legally take place under pd, and thus the lpa would be wrong to refuse).  I'm currently testing the 'fallback' argument for my own installation, which has been refused by the lpa and I am appealing.  It's sometimes used, with success, for major developments, I have as yet no idea whether it will work for a heat pump.

Edited by JamesPa
  • Like 1

The noise power, which is the starting point for the calculation, is independent of the surroundings.  The calculation results in a noise pressure,

As you know about this stuff, and it is the only lecture I missed at university in 6 years of studying sciences, how about starting a topic on it as it is quite interesting.

Noise as a nuisance is much more than just ASHPs so much of the science is important to house design.

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Noise as a nuisance is much more than just ASHPs so much of the science is important to house design.

A great idea to create a specific thread for knowledge, I remember noise in conjunction with wind turbines being an issue of being hardly measurable but creating nuisance through pressure waves.

For installation under permitted development the noise calculation is done by the MCS installer, yes.  Basically he/she must survey the immediate vicinity and do a calculation based on what he/she finds.  The resulting calculation must meet a noise criterion set out in mcs-020 ... the role of the MCS installer is to do the noise calculation and compare it with the noise criterion. 

As an illustration of their thoroughness I have just had 3 more MCS installers do a (first) site visit. None of them said anything at all about noise despite the suggested location being visible from a small window on the adjoining property and by inspection about 5m away.

A previous installer and my own measurements confirm that as the Vaillant 12kW is a very quiet machine for its size we should be OK, but nevertheless it might require a partial or even a full screen to get the last 5 or 10 dB.

Fortunately we have express PP. The planning decision appears to have been based on an (erroneously generous) EHO report as follows, the quoted 36dB relates to the 5kW unit, the 12kW is 6 dB worse.

We have considered the application and the proposed make and location of the heat pump. The pump is a low noise pump with sound pressure level at 3m being around 36-38dB. The nearest neighbouring residence is further away than this and there would be no direct line of sight with windows to a habitable room. Therefore we do not anticipate that there would be any unreasonable noise impact from this unit.

Edited by sharpener