Rust removal from marble tile.

One of the screws on our shower has rusted to failure, leaving a stain.

For replacement I will use a branded SS screw, as I always do, in recent years, for wet locations.

I've tried baking powder, toothpaste, detergent, vinegar and all combinations ( yes, including mixing acid and alkali, as at least there is bubbling.)

Any ideas? 

Perhaps a big SS or chrome washer if nothing works. 20240217_162250.thumb.jpg.5f9f52a985134ecd41775c0a3713a40c.jpg

Remove tile & replace? Have a spare tile to practice on? - maybe try hydrogen peroxide with suitable precautions. Otherwise I’ve had custom ss parts laser or waterjet cut - generally you need to supply a drawing and a dxf - but there may be someone out there who’ll do the little bit of cad for you on the fly. Of course you’ve replaced any other similar steel fixings…

13 minutes ago, Gone West said:

effect would be on a wall tile though.

Strong Acid on marble could be a problem.

I've probably got spare tiles but rather not.

I'm thinking of a Grohe "rosette" plate. 65mm.  I don't know what their intended use is, but it should be OK.Except that I really need 80mm.

image.thumb.png.11cb4a5d7b3d1abeba8872cd350c0880.png

I bought some German rust removal stuff and it worked a treat on our tiles (same issue) at our previous house. I shall try and find it. 

IMG_1396.jpeg

Edited by Kelvin
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nod said:

Remove and replace

I know. But I will try one of the above and report back.

I cant remember if the rusty screw was provided or if its my own fault. Either way, in recent years I have invested in Fischer SS screws to fix showers and grab handles and am impressed with them...very hard head and a very good grip...and no rust.

Toothpaste, bicarb, vinegar didn't work at all.

I found the Rustex to be readily available online. Used that in multiple brush on/ wash off applications.

The rust turns purple then comes off. Most of it anyway. the remaining stain must be embedded, yet the chemical doesn't reach it.

I haven't worked out why the stain is less beneath the round plastic fixing.

Going to refix for now.

Thanks for the advice.

20240222_172725.thumb.jpg.8fc8007b6cfb094a330539eb53f3f656.jpg