Glasgow Hello

windaes

Hello everyone,

I am Stephen, from and living in Glasgow. 

On my allotment, the ever wilder storm winds are playing havoc with my polytunnel. It was looking for information on building polycarbonate polytunnels that brought me to this site. Also, I want to build a big shed in my back garden.

The level of talent, experience and motivation on here is inspirational, but also pretty intimidating. To be honest, I have been thinking about building the shed for about  5 years and haven't yet started. With low skill and low output, I will be asking questions, and documenting any build progress I make. Before I get going though, I will make myself another cup of coffee and mibbe put the tele on for a bit...

Edited by windaes

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A well known user here @Jenki built his own version of a rigid polytunnel, have a look at his blog.

That is the very blog that brought me to this site. Really impressive, inspirational work. I have sent him a wee question or two.

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have some 63mm gas pipe available, so thought I could use it. Were the posts from Wickes 40mm diameter? Don't think there is a smaller diameter wooden post available. Did they require much sanding down, and if you had the choice, what metal pipe would you use?

I understand you must be busy, so I won't bombard you with further questions, but if you have any further tips or info, I'm happy to hear them.

Kind regards

Stevie

9 hours ago, windaes said:

To be honest, I have been thinking about building the shed for about  5 years and haven't yet started. With low skill and low output, I will be asking questions, and documenting any build progress I make. Before I get going though, I will make myself another cup of coffee and mibbe put the tele on for a bit...

with procrastination like that you and @Pocster will get on well!

• Thanks 1

I have recently built a 20 meter x 6.5 meter polly tunnel and it’s just survived one of the worse winters we have had  for years, one wild storm after another….

The footings are all concreted in every 2 meters and there is a post driven in between each 2 meter section, I also have wires going from the bottom of each footing up to the top ridge and back down the other side….. x 3 ridges and loads of cross supports….  It’s in an extremely exposed spot in Argyll. It is possible to make them work if you have no other choice ( I already had the frames so was committed to this set up) but if money was not a problem I would go for a more ridged set up so that I could get more sleep in the winter storms - rather than constantly going out in the middle of the night to check ! 

IMG_9148.jpeg