Wrong measurement for skylight

Hi everyone, 

We are having an extension done with 5m skylight. Back in December, the window surveyor measured and he said that it’s bowed inside. The carpenter sorted the bow without alterations to the size. He just basically straightened the wood inside. Now, the day came to install the skylight and lo and behold, it was way too big. The skylight is 5.6m!!! 

I then contacted them saying I put my confidence in you that you would have the right measurements. They then got back to me saying this surveyor has been doing it for 30 years. Below is what was said:

Our surveyor had measured at 5600mm, which was the upstand size when he attended site.

He has been surveying with Hometec UK for over 30 years, and wouldn’t measure incorrectly by 500-600mm.

I then emailed yourself to give an extra cost for a bigger flat roof-light than quoted, as this was originally quoted at 5000mm.

This was agreed by email, so at that point it obviously had been made bigger at the size we measured.

I can see a note on the survey paperwork that the centre of the upstand was bowed inwards by 40mm and that it needed a 5-degree pitch adding, which the flat roof-lights need for water run-off.

You then updated the upstand to sort out the bow and to give the correct pitch, and was obviously made it smaller at the same time.

they mentioned the bowed part but they didn’t say about the 5 degree pitch. 

I have now the quote for replacing the glass and basically they don’t want to cover the cost.

what’s my stand on this? 

thanks 

8 minutes ago, Oceanjules said:

then emailed yourself to give an extra cost for a bigger flat roof-light than quoted, as this was originally quoted at 5000mm.

This was agreed by email, so at that point it obviously had been made bigger at the size we measured.

Do you have copies of that Email? If so they appear to be correct.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

sounds that is the case, even if they measured wrong in the first place then you signed off on the error 😐

How much is the replacement glass and how much to make the hole bigger?

Regardless of pitch or bowed area If the structural opening hasn’t change Its his problem 

30 years or 30 minutes He has one job to do and he F****d it up 

Senior moment 😁

26 minutes ago, Oceanjules said:

You then updated the upstand to sort out the bow and to give the correct pitch, and was obviously made it smaller at the same time.

Their argument hinges on this, if you can prove that the opening was not made smaller when the bow was sorted then they would have to concede that the surveyor was wrong.

If you "signed off" on the meaurements by eail then it might get a bit tricky, but at the end of the day you have to trust the surveyors measurements, because what's the point of having one anyway?

37 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I do have the surveyor’s note. To be honest, I only looked at the cost because looking at was written on the quote isn’t in my vocabulary, too technical for me. As for the size of it (5m), I know that it’s going to be extra large. 

13 minutes ago, Tom said:

If you "signed off" on the meaurements by eail then it might get a bit tricky, but at the end of the day you have to trust the surveyors measurements, because what's the point of having one anyway?

It’s not like it’s a couple of mm, it’s 600mm. (two foot in old money) spookily that’s the average distance between rafters 🤷‍♂️

47 minutes ago, Oceanjules said:

Our surveyor had measured at 5600mm, which was the upstand size when he attended site.

So the opening had been made, I can’t see why a chippy would make it 600mm smaller to straighten out a bow. What does your chippy say to this?

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

It’s not like it’s a couple of mm, it’s 600mm. (two foot in old money) spookily that’s the average distance between rafters 🤷‍♂️

So the opening had been made, I can’t see why a chippy would make it 600mm smaller to straighten out a bow. What does your chippy say to this?

The chippy didn’t alter the size. It would have been too costly for us, changing the flitch beams that support the flat roof and everything. We all have the pictures to support our case but without the measurements it’s hard to tell from the pictures. 600mm is way too big, I would understand if it was 60mm but 600mm is way too out. 

1 minute ago, Oceanjules said:

We all have the pictures to support our case but without the measurements it’s hard to tell from the pictures

does the pictures show any joists and the spacings, or do you have any design drawings for the joists?

Just now, Oceanjules said:

As you can see, the opening has always been in line with the windows. That opening is 5m and their measurement is 5.6m. 

The picture where the wood in the middle was the bowed part that was sorted inside

3 minutes ago, Oceanjules said:

As you can see, the opening has always been in line with the windows. That opening is 5m and their measurement is 5.6m

have you got the architectural drawing that you can measure off in PDF and mark up, which the photos back up the layouts or windows etc that are consistent in the photos as always being that size

8 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

have you got the architectural drawing that you can measure off in PDF and mark up, which the photos back up the layouts or windows etc that are consistent in the photos as always being that size

That’s what’s on the architectural drawing 

IMG_5008.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

@Oceanjules that’s great, much more idea about what’s happening. As above, any detailed drawings with measurements and comments from your chippy. At what point did they measure up?

I believe the surveyor measured the part just before the wood in the middle was put in place. 

i originally thought that some of the liability was with you, however i have changed my mind and its all on the surveyor, he made the mistake, having a surveyor is the person to measure up. Check what you signed and see what the wording is about measurements and responsivity. As by signing the document you may have taken in liability for the measurements.

I have added some measurements to yours calibrated to the ones on there already.

image.thumb.png.96525e83c861d3b499db8589b6837ac0.png

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

i originally thought that some of the liability was with you, however i have changed my mind and its all on the surveyor, he made the mistake, having a surveyor is the person to measure up. Check what you signed and see what the wording is about measurements and responsivity. As by signing the document you may have taken in liability for the measurements.

I have added some measurements to yours calibrated to the ones on there already.

image.thumb.png.96525e83c861d3b499db8589b6837ac0.png

Thank you so much for this measurement. Can you please advise how to go from here? Thank you. 

29 minutes ago, Oceanjules said:

8ce2e273-ccf7-4efb-ad45-30ab03ed5745.jpeg

you earliest photo here shows that the inside of the skylight is about the 360mm inside the window reveal. Its physically impossible from this point to go 5600mm to the right as you run out of room to the other wall. This reference point is visibly unchanged in the last more advanced photo. No way did that sky light get longer of the course of those images.

2 minutes ago, Oceanjules said:

Can you please advise how to go from here? Thank you.

check very carefully the document you signed, as if by signing you have accepted any liability of the measurements. However comment sense is that the surveyor is responsible, as even if you accepted liability by signing it, then you can go after the surveyor who has been negligent and not done their job properly. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this helps, but a few years ago a friend commissioned a company to provide a canopy for her garden but when it arrived, she could not open the patio door with the canopy in place.  The company said she was responsible for checking the measurements and it was her problem.  We went to court and said that she signed the documents but trusted the company to get the measurements right.  She was not responsible if they measured wrongly.  it was found in her favour. 

8 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

Not sure if this helps, but a few years ago a friend commissioned a company to provide a canopy for her garden but when it arrived, she could not open the patio door with the canopy in place.  The company said she was responsible for checking the measurements and it was her problem.  We went to court and said that she signed the documents but trusted the company to get the measurements right.  She was not responsible if they measured wrongly.  it was found in her favour. 

Thank you. This gives me hope if ever we ever to to that route. 

hope it gets sorted, just a thought, do you have any photo from the inside of the room of the skylight area and the opening.

Also the architectural plans, it it was really a 5.6m sky light it looks like the dimension of the room underneath is only just bigger than that!