First property!

chrispy

Morning all,

Based in Surrey and just bought our first property. Very keen to learn about what we can and can't do to it going forward, and wanted to join to learn and ask questions!

I've already seen a huge amount of expert help on here so looking forward to getting involved.

Plans for 2024:
- Sort out ASHP hot water going cold in afternoon
- Build double garage
- Sort some home automation.
- Whatever else I can get away with without the wife leaving me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome

The hot water is probably not 'going cold' in the afternoon, it has probably been used up in the morning.

This is probably just down to how the controller/s for the ASHP has been set up.  Get as many relevant model number for the parts involved, and I am sure someone on here wil know how to set it up.

Why do you want a double garage?  Not many cars need to be kept in a motor house these days.  If it is for a workshop, then a different building method may be more suitable.

Why home automation.  Houses basically look after themselves.  The ability to turn up heating or lights on and off while away is really way over the top (though useful for holiday let properties).

As you have an ASHP, I am assuming you are not on the main gas grid.

So get/make a decent electrical energy monitor and collect data, it will tell you so much i.e. what saving would be made with PV.

Welcome, +1 the controller for the DHW / ASHP needs tweaking (mine was on 24/7 but only as required driven by the tank stat). Of course you need a double garage, all men do, gives you an excuse to buy cars that DO need a garage.

IMG_0091.jpeg

• Like 3

On 22/01/2024 at 12:47, Square Feet said:

Lots of women too.

An early girlfriend of mine found it ........  (series of annoyed expletives deleted in advance of publication) to  reverse into an empty double garage. She it was who confidently told me she had topped up the water in the radiator in my VW Beetle  🥶 .... Left Hand Drive  split rear windscreen.  My God I was cross.

• Haha 1