DIY rendering

I have a 20 square metre breeze block wall with a crack in it. I'm looking to mend the crack and render the wall outside to waterproof it. I think the job is too small for a contractor. Is there something I can put on myself?

22 minutes ago, Originaltwist said:

. Is there something I can put on myself

I've done it but it is tricky. I think it looks passable at best but nobody else seems to notice.

I deliberately left curves trowel strokes, in the Mediterranean style.

2 coats is best, the first disguising  the undulations and pointing.

If you get stuff with latex in the mix it helps.

Then grow plants in front of it.

If you want smooth (-ISH!) use a bagged product with mesh and do the first coat with a toothed trowel. The 'tramlines' of the toothed coat act as a depth gauge. Do a small (1m2?) test 'panel' first and you can mess with it and refine it till you feel confident.

20 .sq m would be a nice small job for a plasterer.

If your going to tackle it yourself make sure you get angle bead and render stops in place first.

You may need to coat the wall first with uni bond.

Don't try it if temp is below 5°

Use sand and cement 4:1 for the whole job, and rule off in sections with a straight edge.

Apply with trowel and hawk, rub up second coat with a float. You can use a damp sponge to rub it up providing the second coat has nearly gone off.

Remember professionals make it look easy, because we've been doing it for year's.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 19:10, twice round the block said:

Use sand and cement 4:1 for the whole job

I was taught that the mix should get weaker from first to second coat or it’ll pull- @nod?

Edited by Brickie

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

I was taught that the mix should get weaker from first to second coat or it’ll pull- @nod?

Yes on problem walls Weber suggest Rend Aid as a 1st coat.  It has lots of cement and is sticky as a sticky thing.  The mesh is also good minimising cracks.