Sky Glass - TV Wall

Hi all

I am just planning our TV wall in the kitchen/dining area, we would like the TV 'sunkun' in so just trying to plan it. I was going to have sky glass in here as the main TV and then have a couple of pucks in other rooms however after reading some reviews about the TV's this has put me off a little doing it this way.

I am not thinking of getting the smallest sky glass TV for our bedroom and then having a 'normal' TV and soundbar built in to the wall.

Has anybody got sky glass and could offer any feedback at all?

Many Thanks

The only thing is, with sunken in electrical stuff, if it breaks (it will) you have holes in the wall the wrong size for replacements.

Didn't think the reviews for sky glass were that brilliant? Do they tie you into having to have sky?

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

The only thing is, with sunken in electrical stuff, if it breaks (it will) you have holes in the wall the wrong size for replacements.

Didn't think the reviews for sky glass were that brilliant? Do they tie you into having to have sky?

Yes this is a concern regarding the size holes, was going to slightly oversize it to ensure when the TV breaks we should be able to get one to fit in - same with the soundbar

Yes i cannot get virgin in my area so its pretty much sky is the only option, i liked the idea of sky glass as didnt want a dish on my house

Many Thanks

1 hour ago, richo106 said:

Yes i cannot get virgin in my area so its pretty much sky is the only option, i liked the idea of sky glass as didnt want a dish on my house

You can now get sky stream, no dish and freedom to get a decent tv set instead of the glass TV.

image.thumb.png.3837818a922ff6a6723455b3b5cb134f.png

The TV with sky glass is pretty crap.  Its LED.  A decent OLED TV (LG) will be far better and weigh far less.  That's what we'll be doing and with sky streaming so no dish.

In my experience a cheap stereo HiFi amp and two speakers is cheaper and sounds better than a soundbar but some prefer the looks of a soundbar.  Which isn't really the point.

Our TV will be on a cabinet.

Edited by Mr Blobby

As above get a standard tv.  Perhaps design your tv wall with an over sized recess surrounded by some form of border / edging so that part could be changed if a replacement was a different size.

And for the main tv, forget a sound bar, proper surround sound wins hands down.

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

As above get a standard tv.  Perhaps design your tv wall with an over sized recess surrounded by some form of border / edging so that part could be changed if a replacement was a different size.

And for the main tv, forget a sound bar, proper surround sound wins hands down.

It will be in my kitchen /diner area so I don't think surround sound would work unfortunately

TV Wall - maybe consider a TV set into a fabric covered wood frame. You can more easily increase size if you need to and can also have speakers set behind the fabric so can provide a nice looking solution with some flexibility

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

Best tv for money and spec is LG

I had a Goldstar telly in the 1980's, it was very good.  Gave it to my Grandmother in the mid 90's and she used it until she died in the early 2000s.  So it lasted 20 years.

The sound was brilliant (all her neighbours said so), just as well as she was a deaf as a post in the end, just like my mother is now.

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I had a Goldstar telly in the 1980's, it was very good.  Gave it to my Grandmother in the mid 90's and she used it until she died in the early 2000s.  So it lasted 20 years.

The sound was brilliant (all her neighbours said so), just as well as she was a deaf as a post in the end, just like my mother is now.

Gold star are effectively part of LG now 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldStar

Edited by Pocster

Just now, Pocster said:

Gold star are effectively part of LG now 

Yes, why I commented.

It was pretty cheap as well.  Got it from Curries, and managed to get out without being bullied into buying an extended warrantee.

I look after a disabled fella for 2 days a month who has sky glass.

My observations are; it buffers when he is online with other things and when his broadband is down he cannot default to freeview.

The picture quality is muckhausen.

I have been looking at TVs for a few days and decided to go for:

Samsung QE65S90C OLED 65inch

Against my better judgement we are getting the frame made as tight as we can, i did tell my mrs if the TV breaks we could be in the s**t

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I had a Goldstar telly in the 1980's, it was very good.

Not as good as Grundig. Ours was so good that it could withstand being hit at with a baseball bat when it would lose signal. My father kept a baseball bat by the side of the TV for just this purpose. Hitting it usually brought the signal back. Not sure why, but it worked. Until it didn’t.

• Haha 1