Gavin’s timber frame thread

gavztheouch

IMO it’s not about you being a perfectionist it’s about workers being able to read and do their job properly (cowboys!!!!) get them to add/change them to the schedule.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gavztheouch said:

the rawl bolt anchors hold 24kn

That is like suspending a very heavy car `(Landrover etc) every 600mm.  It is a lot of load  .

This is too technical and specific for me to say much on,

However, without doing any analysis I would simply say that you will not be needing 24kN resistance eat 600 centres.

I would go for '2' probably, but it isn't for me to say....and you will worry whenever the wind blows. especially as you say you are a perfectionist, so must make your own mind up.

So you should probably ask your SE immediately while telling your joiner to pause OR use the specified fixings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gavztheouch said:

Just noticed my joiner has fixed the sole plate down with 7.5 x 120mm concrete screws at 400mm centres into my slab.

Gav.. You have a couple of choices..

Take the risk that you have built something that is not safe.. bad move.

OR

Pay your SE to come to site and sort it out. Then try and claw back the SE fee money from your builders.

My advice.. pay your SE and do things right and remediate if need be. If BC spot anything you'll have to pay anyway to get it fixed.

• Like 2

I know the feeling: my builders used the wrong strength blocks under the block and beam in my extension. Once I realised, I made them dismantle their work and use the correct ones, despite their protestations that it was ‘fine’. As with your error, I realised in good time, and the situation was recoverable. It’s frustrating on so many levels, but there are some things which you can let go and some things you can’t, (which is why I have wonky plastering).
On a windy site what you are describing would trigger my alarm bells.

8 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

Pay your SE to come to site and sort it out.

Sorry Gus I disagree, TELL the builders to build as designed by the SE.

Who’s job was it to supply fixings

if you are supplying all materials then you should have had them on site

if it was your joiner then they have deviated from the approved plan so need to change them at their own cost. 

m8 raw bolts will be available in any merchants. 

• Like 1

On 22/08/2024 at 10:41, joe90 said:

Sorry Gus I disagree, TELL the builders to build as designed by the SE.

Ok to disagree.

My own feeling is that it's worth while paying the SE for a visit. This achieves a number of things.

1/ It lets the builder know that you the Client are not alone.

2/ I can say that I can't remember the time when I went to inspect a job and found nothing wrong. Builders often swap materials, hangers, connections, nail types and don't follow the nailing schedule on TF. Then you have fire stopping, vapour barriers etc... long list

3/ When I go to site I also look at fit up and if everything looks ok for the next stages say.. the insulation, how are the drains looking and so on.

Now is the time to nip things in the bud. As a project goes on builders tend to come under more financial pressure as they like to get as much profit out the job early on. If they feel they have a weak Client it's human nature that they tend to let things slip as the project goes on.

Ok @joe90 I agree with you that you should tell the builder to get it right.. but sometimes the presence of an SE,  Architect or QS say can concentrate the mind..avoid later serious disputes.. especially if any visit is at short notice or unannounced.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

It lets the builder know that you the Client are not alone.

also, the builder can realise that the SE is not unreasonable, and any future suggested change should be put forward , not done unilaterally.

This joiner may have used this product on many projects and 'know' that it is generally ok, but your project may have more uplift..

OR the SE doesn't know this product which might be ok or suits some projects but not all. Both / either can learn.

On 21/08/2024 at 20:00, gavztheouch said:

The fixing schedule calls for rawl bolt concrete anchors which are M8 x 120mm.

@gavztheouch, I took this to mean it was designed by an architect or SE? is this the case.?

@Gus Potter this is why I thought “another”SE” was not needed.

We decided to go ahead and fix the bolt issue later if needed. The contractor also removed and reinserted some concrete screws to place shims under the sole plate. Concrete screws don't work as well after remover and reinsertion.

The latest frame saga is the window lintels not fitting under the head binder. This means the walls are not properly tied together. I haven't ordered the lintels yet as they have a long lead-time but until we redesign the walls and floor I don't know what to order.

This is really frustrating as I brought this issue up when I made my model.

Im trying to think of ways to improve the wall to isoquick junction at the bottom of the wall. The wood fibre adds protection from water entering higher up the wall but when it reaches the Isoquick, if trapped behind the membrane there is a direct path into the sole plate. Thinking about adding a chamfer to the Isoquick to drop the external wood fibre down 10mm or so to create a ledge making it harder for the water to get in.

3 hours ago, gavztheouch said:

Im trying to think of ways to improve the wall to isoquick junction at the bottom of the wall.

We used a completely different way of cladding our timber frame on the Isoquick. We had to have a 50mm cavity between the rainscreen and external insulation. I think this drawing had a few minor tweaks before the work was done. The DPC was folded up and stapled to the 15mm OSB racking before the external insulation was fitted to ensure water couldn't reach the sole plate. Don't know if that's of any help.

CedarCladdingBrickSlipJunction.thumb.jpg.3e617191d481546fc84e8c79e3e65af4.jpg

• Like 1