Boiling Water Tap Under Kitchen Units Condensation

Hi all

We have a potential problem we have had some wall cabinets installed fairly low above our quooker boiling tap.  

Below the wall panels we also had it rebated for an LED light profile.

Today we tried the tap and due to the steam that was emitted, it left a considerable amount of condensation on the bottom of the unit.  I am concerned long term as the rebated panel above is not sealed.  Is there anyone that has faced the same issue and is there any good fix?

IMG_4985.JPG

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That looks like a kitchen design error.  There is a reason most people don't put cupboards above a sink.  Even without the tap, you would get steam from a bowl of normal hat washing up water.

We had cupboards above our previous utility room sink and have done so again in the new house with no issues. You can get away with it if the sink isn’t in constant use. 

• Like 1

It depends on the height the units starts above the sink.....  Yours looks pretty close....

Also the quooker boiling tap runs a lot higher temperature than a normal hot water tap and will produce more steam.

Also the hot moist air will go into the cupboard where the cooler air will condense the moisture.

Also you have no pelmet at the bottom of the wall unit which would usually deflect the passage of the steam.

Usually units above a sink, when I have installed them start higher above the sink (Short units) for access and light needs.

M

Edited by Marvin

@revelation 

Ours is a similar setup. 3 years use and no condensation noticed in or below the cupboards. 

IMG_2214.thumb.jpeg.5d23e5e75f22920113958420ef155c6d.jpeg

Were you running boiling water straight down the plug hole for a length of time just to test it?

11 hours ago, revelation said:

Below the wall panels we also had it rebated for an LED light profile.

Do you mean you’ve rebated the underside of the wall units? If so you can seal a channel in to that for the LED strip. 

16 hours ago, ProDave said:

That looks like a kitchen design error.  There is a reason most people don't put cupboards above a sink.  Even without the tap, you would get steam from a bowl of normal hat washing up water.

We have a dishwasher so washing will be minimal.    I was thinking of covering the bottom in tinting film which will hopefully create a barrier.

14 hours ago, Russdl said:

@revelation 

Ours is a similar setup. 3 years use and no condensation noticed in or below the cupboards. 

IMG_2214.thumb.jpeg.5d23e5e75f22920113958420ef155c6d.jpeg

Were you running boiling water straight down the plug hole for a length of time just to test it?

Do you mean you’ve rebated the underside of the wall units? If so you can seal a channel in to that for the LED strip. 

We have a panel under the units that has been rebated for the LED Strip,   I ran it for about a minute to test it and there was condensation under the unit.   your unit looks higher than mine.

16 hours ago, Marvin said:

It depends on the height the units starts above the sink.....  Yours looks pretty close....

Also the quooker boiling tap runs a lot higher temperature than a normal hot water tap and will produce more steam.

Also the hot moist air will go into the cupboard where the cooler air will condense the moisture.

Also you have no pelmet at the bottom of the wall unit which would usually deflect the passage of the steam.

Usually units above a sink, when I have installed them start higher above the sink (Short units) for access and light needs.

M

My units are fairly low, we didn't go for a pelmit as that would have messed with the design, 

I was thinking of covering the bottom in tinting film which will hopefully create a barrier. It can be peeled away if I need to replace the LED light but that shouldn't be too often.  Would that work.