1 m planning requirement to be scrapped?

sharpener

3 hours ago, Beelbeebub said:

If a HP installed on the boundary is quieter at the neighbours property than a permitted one installed 1m away why stop it?

Very likely it will be (at least using MCS methodology) because if near the boundary it's more likely to be screened from the neighbours' windows by the fence. This gives you an extra 5dB if partial or 10dB if complete screening to play with.

The Telegraph article is behind a paywall. I've attached the Autumn Statement.

On page 61:

"The government is also creating more certainty for investors in low-carbon infrastructure by extending the critical national priority designation for nationally significant low-carbon energy projects. Alongside this, the government will look to remove unnecessary planning constraints by accelerating the expansion of electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure and will consult on amending the National Planning Policy Framework to ensure the planning system prioritises the rollout of EV chargepoints, including EV charging hubs. It will also consult on introducing new permitted development rights to end the blanket restriction on heat pumps one metre from a property boundary in England. Together these measures will reduce delays and capitalise on the UK’s world-leading approach to decarbonising the economy."

Also interesting on the same page:

"Substantive action is required to address the lengthy wait to connect to the electricity grid. These delays limit investment in the transition to low-carbon power generation, which is critical to the UK’s energy security. The government is therefore announcing reform of the grid connection process to cut waiting times, including freeing up over 100GW of capacity so that projects can connect sooner. This will help to enable the significant majority of projects to get their requested connection date with no wait and, for viable projects, reduce overall connection delays from five years to no more than six months."

E02982473_Autumn_Statement_Nov_23_Accessible_v3.pdf

Edited by LnP

The Telegraph Paywall is not very good (never has been).

I use the Bypass Paywalls  extension for Chrome and it works just fine.

I don't know if the traditional "incognito window" hack still works.

Or archive.ph seems a very effective service to read full articles.

• Like 1

Interesting that the piece quotes a £5000 grant - what happened to the £7500 that Short-Term Rishi promised?

(Sorry -a  bit of political commentary onm context. Ignore if not interested.)

I think that here this stuff is notably no-major-short-term-change, and the Telegraph is bigging up something quite small. The cases cited seem to be rather extreme - 1m from the boundary is not really "in the middle of my lawn" for a semi-detached house.

In my view we need to remember that this Govt is interested in essentially NOTHING beyond either May 2024, or possibly Sept 2024, which are the very likely dates for the next election. And the only thing they care about is saving as much of their butt as is still feasible. Any long-term sounding stuff will have either no real short-term implications, or be back loaded beyond 12 months.

There may be an exception for long-term programmes of which the shift to ASHP manufacture may be one. But we also need to remember that successful programmes things such as insulation programmes, requirements for improved EPC levels for Rental and Owner-Occupied, and similar have all been scrapped. And that they are shovelling money into roads from public transport and active travel as if there was no tomorrow.

That's imo why we have just had a short-term-boost-in-the-pocket budget for certain groups (including impecunious red-wallers and some blue-wallers), with medium term predictions that seem to lead back to the financial toilet.

(Just for disclosure: the only political party I have ever been a member of was the Tories - I joined when levelling up was credible to try and provide my bit of non-Southern balance, and left when it was proven to be essentially a self-serving deception.)