Paint Brands Advice

richo106

Good Morning All

I have finally got to the stage where  I am considering paint! (been a long road so far to get here)

I have bought some leyland trade matt white emulsion for mist coating but we also need to buy the emulsion for walls and ceilings.

The mrs like some colours from Farrow & Ball, Lick and Coat, it was recommended me to take these colours to Valspar (B&Q) and they will mix it for me. My question is what is the quality of valspar paint like? Would people recommend it?

I have looked at the website and seems 'premium walls & ceilings' is their 'best' emulsion

Any advice/recommendations greatly appreciated on this topic

Kind Regards

I’ve used Crown trade super covertex for all the mist coating. I’ll then use a mixture of other paints for other coats. This is a good site for info

https://www.thedecoratorsforum.com/best-emulsion-for-walls-and-ceilings/

As I’m sure you know no matter the quality of the paint it’s the prep beforehand that matters more. I’ve has to quite a lot of sanding back (and some filling) of our plaster coat. However, it has meant a good surface for painting on resulting in a nice flat finish. 

Edited by Kelvin

Dulux Trade paints for me, water down for mist coats (50% water) and then straight after that. Really good covering power, available at B&Q, Screwfix and Toolstation well below than a Dulux Trade Centre prices. Can be mixed to any colour you want. Would suggest a bland pallet of colours if a new build, because you will be redecorating sooner than later, and everything also looks different to what you expect when you get it furnished etc.

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

I’ve used Crown trade super covertex for all the mist coating. I’ll then use a mixture of other paints for other coats. This is a good site for info

https://www.thedecoratorsforum.com/best-emulsion-for-walls-and-ceilings/

As I’m sure you know no matter the quality of the paint it’s the prep beforehand that matters more. I’ve has to quite a lot of sanding back (and some filling) of our plaster coat. However, it has meant a good surface for painting on resulting in a nice flat finish. 

Thank you for the link @Kelvin, I found it very useful!

51 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Dulux Trade paints for me, water down for mist coats (50% water) and then straight after that. Really good covering power, available at B&Q, Screwfix and Toolstation well below than a Dulux Trade Centre prices. Can be mixed to any colour you want. Would suggest a bland pallet of colours if a new build, because you will be redecorating sooner than later, and everything also looks different to what you expect when you get it furnished etc.

Yes after reading some reviews and the link above I will be using dulux trade paints, with a young family I think dulux diamond matt would be a good choice for all the walls

Many Thanks

3 hours ago, richo106 said:

dulux diamond matt would be a good choice for all the walls

Be very careful to clean off any splashes and spatters before the paint has dried as it is very hard to remove from a sound surface once cured.  Even spatters on glass will stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this. 

I ordered some Tikkurila Anti Reflex 2 from DCO (website I posted earlier). This is my top coat. It’s really nice stuff. Covers beautifully and creamy smooth. £53 for 10l so not exactly a cheap option but not the dearest either. 

Your local decorator centre trade paint will be the best bet. Dulux, crown or Johnson, or independent like Brewers etc but you need a proper trade account to get a good price.

Crown own Farrow and Ball so might be a good choice if you want a lot of their colours as they have the recipe on computer so can match it exactly

B and Q Valspar could not accurately match a dark blue cupboard door for me - the scan was miles off - 3 attempts later and 3 wasted match pots that I refused to pay for,  I matched it using the charts and it is pretty much bang on - so my advice would get them to do a match pot to test before you commit.

I used Tikkurila Anti Reflex 2  on all of my ceilings and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I have also recently used some of the Wickes own brand tough and washable paint - it is very good and great value.

36 minutes ago, wozza said:

B and Q Valspar could not accurately match a dark blue cupboard door for me

Since somebody mentioned Valspar, and this is a thread about recommending paint brands, then I feel it my duty to say DO NOT buy Valspar Decking Paint.

You might expect being called decking paint, you would have a reasonable expectation to paint some onto some clean new dry timber decking in your garden and expect it to stay attached to the wood.  Well I can say that it does not and the first winter of being rained on, it will start to flake off.  Utter rubbish and certainly not fit to be described as decking paint.