Oven cable

Pocster

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

2 x ovens for cooking meals in. also one child has an allergy so for some foods we need to cook separately. 1 x microwave. then 3 ovens wouldn't look right so to even it out we got a steam oven as well. makes everything look aligned and appeals to our compulsive natures.

6 would look better 

• Haha 1

Heb Homes have a partner kitchen and bathroom company. They are obviously keen for the business so we visited their showroom and got a design which had three ovens. I asked why three and was told with a straight face, you’ll likely never use three but I read about the power of three (which is a thing in marketing) so always put three in. 🙄 We sacked them off and did it ourselves so now have two high spec ovens. The microwave is rarely used so that’s stand alone in the utility room out of the way for the very occasional time we use it as we valued the larder space more than the occasional use of a microwave. We also have a separate slow cooker by that’s in the utility room too out of the way. 

1 minute ago, Pocster said:

Finally managed to get hold of my sparky !

He wants 3 separate 10mm to each appliance 

10mm is overkill unless run through a shedload of insulation. 6mm is enough when you use the diversity calculation for every domestic cooking appliance I’ve ever fitted (a lot!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattg4321 said:

10mm is overkill unless run through a shedload of insulation. 6mm is enough when you use the diversity calculation for every domestic cooking appliance I’ve ever fitted (a lot!)

In his voicemail he said 6mm is ok - but would want to know the loading of each appliance.

I have no 6mm but I do have plenty of 10mm so might as well use it .

He also preferred 10mm for “ future expansion “ 

Edited by Pocster

2 hours ago, Pocster said:

In his voicemail he said 6mm is ok - but would want to know the loading of each appliance.

Nothing wrong with 10mm, but I prefer not to as it’s awkward to work with and costs more! As you have it though and it’s what your sparks wants it’s a no brainer!

Electric showers on the other hand I always always fit 10mm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pocster said:

you've really gotta go with what your sparky wants tbh. but take a look at https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html and you can calculate the minimum cable size for the distance of cable.

It's too late for it now. But I always take a 16mm armoured and have a separate CU In the kitchen. It's the one place that's rewired more than any others, and although it sounds expensive, it's a lot less long runs for individual circuits. 

5 minutes ago, FuerteStu said:

And not behind it, as I often see.. How are you supposed to safely isolated it if it's on fire 🙄

No sweat fella !

The 10mm will run to isolators for the appliance in the cupboard above ( behind is mofo dumb )