2x1 CLS timber for simple framing (cloakroom)

johnhenstock83

I'm looking to get a simple frame built in the downstairs cloakroom, which is currently just a space (1.5x0.9m) with some pipes in there.

I am looking at wickes' CLS timber (38x63mm, I understand this is referred to as 2 by 1) and I was wondering if it will be strong enough for my application.

all I'm looking for is to be able to fit a plasterboard sheet (12.5mm) to cover a very irregular wall, build a 80cm tall frame to hide a toilet cistern and have some further plasterboard cover a few pipes, again up to a height of 80cm.

is this timber strong enough or do I need 2x2?

thanks!

What's the frame for? 2x1 is pretty flimsy, typically used as a batten more than anything else, so wouldn't make for anything rigid or capable of supporting any great deal of weight. 3x2 or 2x2 at a push, depending on the use case. 

• Like 1

63mm x 38mm is 3x2. It starts 3" x 2" rough stock and is machined to the finished 63mm x 38mm. It's pretty solid for your suggested use. I'd be happy to make a table or chair out of it. I'd expect 50x25 batten to be strong enough for boxing in and that is essentially 2" x 1". I wouldn't go that route myself though unless space was tight.

• Like 2

ah, I see. thanks for explaining how it works, I thought CLS was your typical international standard.

so yes, it's a 3 x 2 then, and I'm planning to use it for a frame much simpler than the one posted above. I trust it will be strong enough.

do I lay the flooring first (tiles) or build the frame directly on the solid concrete floor? if the latter, do I need a DPC under the timbers? there's no damp in the house.

thanks

CLS stands for Canadian Lumber Standard.  It is usually nice stuff to work with, with slightly rounded corners.  Perfectly fine for a non load bearing stud wall, if I use that I normally build at 400mm centres.

Simple enough to box in a concealed cistern, it needs a lot more thought if you are going to mount a wall hung WC pan on it.

• Like 1

For that kind of work, standard "carcassing" timber in 3x2 is sufficient and a good bit cheaper than CLS. Go to your local builders merchant and they'll know what to give you.

If you need extra strength, line one of the sides with 18mm PLY.

2 hours ago, johnhenstock83 said:

do I lay the flooring first (tiles) or build the frame directly on the solid concrete floor? if the latter, do I need a DPC under the timbers? there's no damp in the house.

I'm not a builder but I'd say directly on to the concrete floor and would put DPC under the timbers if this is ground floor for sure.

• Like 1

I mean it's £4 for 3 meters, the whole lot will cost me £20, so I'll go with CLS :). It is indeed for a concealed cistern (a normal one, not a metal frame one).

as for the build, I'll build the frame first, plasterboard what needs covering and then tile. thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, saveasteading said:

As @Thorfunsays. 

It needs fixing to the floor. Hammerfix for a short run like this.

I would treat myself to one of those puff of chalk hole markers.

i had areas where i couldn't fix to the floor or didn't want to and i used this stuff. https://www.toolden.co.uk/sealants-adhesives/adhesives/grab/illbruck-pu700-multi-purpose-construction-adhesive-pack-of-12/?sku=501135X12&setCurrencyId=2&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5IzGmtmgggMVh-rtCh1NZApoEAQYCCABEgKFN_D_BwE

seemed rock solid.

but, if you can fix then fixing is obviously better.