I can't drill straight holes for the life of me

I've taught loads apprentices over the years how to use power tools properly. 

Overwhelmingly, the problem is using the trigger as an on or off switch, and not slowly applying pressure. Steady as you go

Don't lean on the back of the drill as it starts, let the rotation do the initial cutting before putting too much weight behind it. Concentrate on just holding the drill in the same place. 

Often the surface isn't flat, if the first part of the drilling is off centre, then angle the drill until the tip ends up behind where the mark was, then slowly straighten up. 

As you drill deeper, the tip of the drill is where the fixing will end up. Try and hold it as straight as possible. Picture the back of the drill moving forwards, not the tip of the drill bit. 

There's no shame in starting of a hole with it not on hammer mode. Go steady on just rotary if you're scared of the drills power. 

People often forget that skillful use of power tools takes years to master and most of the subtle details of their use are subconscious.. You just do it. 

It's an art, it takes time to get there. 

There's no harm in buying a few quids worth of materials and just practicing

One problem with drilling into brick or block walls is that you don't know where the joints are, and sod's law means you half hit a brick and a strip of mortar.

Another good reason to not build with those outdated materials that the English are so fond of.

An old American friend of mine who worked for many years in Architect's offices told me that she had never heard the saying 'as safe as bricks and mortar'.

• 3 weeks later...