Floating staircase steel fabrication

flanagaj

Ok, I was not sure which section to post this question as although it's stairs, the question is about a floating staircase.   Just wonder anyone knows where you can source one of the below and what sort of price you can expect to pay.  I have a PT / Bench saw, so will make the treads myself.

watermark.php?image=unique-floating-staircase-1.jpg

There are two options - either you or someone else designs (SE maybe), there's a proper drawing (you take the design risk) and you send out for fab quotes.

Or, you get a local fab shop over and they measure and design and quote, you sign off their design (they tale the design risk), and they fab, and maybe install.

Some of Bradfabs' designs are on eBay, so you can get an idea. Looks like £15K all in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333162094277

41 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

There are two options - either you or someone else designs (SE maybe), there's a proper drawing (you take the design risk) and you send out for fab quotes.

Or, you get a local fab shop over and they measure and design and quote, you sign off their design (they tale the design risk), and they fab, and maybe install.

Some of Bradfabs' designs are on eBay, so you can get an idea. Looks like £15K all in:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333162094277

Thanks.  I could not find it on eBay when I searched earlier..  That does seem like an awful lot of money for what you are actually getting.  I see people on ebay are selling oak treads at £300 each.   If you have a PT, saw bench and a Domino you could make these for < £40.  There is around 1/2 ft3 of oak involved in each tread.  So hoping it can be done for a lot less.  

Thanks for the post though.  There is a local fabricator near me and so long as I read up on building regs I am sure with the help of an SE I can get them to make something.

Edited by flanagaj

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

that design alone will be far too bouncy,

BCO should  want designs for strength and deflection. Also the rising/goings/landings/headroom geometry.

I would also design the handrail in detail now, as making it work later could be tricky.

Only Grand Designs and Architects Journal have stairs without handrails,  and they will be added later.