Living in static caravan during build

Hi all,

Its been a dream of mine for a while to build my own house and I have managed to convince the Mrs. Due to the rising interests rates it might push us to going for it sooner rather than later, depending on what happens over the next 18 months. She's well on board but is worried about living in a static caravan on site for what could be 2 years plus with 2, possibly 3 young kids.

I'd project manage myself and get involved at stages but would leave most of it to the professionals. My worry is I'd lose too much time with the family.

Looking for advice from families that have been through it. Would you recommend it? What were the impacts on you as a family? How did you manage your time between the family, work and build?

Thanks in advance 

It’s doable, plenty of folk do it. Depends on the site, how exposed it is, where it is, etc. I go camping etc and I couldn’t have done it and there’s just the two of us and two dogs. 

Edited by Kelvin

We're doing this currently.

First question: are all members up to caravan living? (presumably a 2/3 bed static?)

1 year in the caravan already here, loving it, but we aren't precious people - I pump raw sewage to various tanks each month before a large collection every few.

We lost running water in the week long -10 snap last year. With a one year old. Again, we enjoyed the experience.

3 children in a caravan might be pushing it. There is plenty of space for living, but none for yourself.

Might be worth considering GSH if in it for many winters? More expensive to run and buy however. I'm sure we could survive on elec only if we had needed to tho.

Double glazing?

Recommend a wall mounted heat pump air-conditioner. Does heating and cooling. Makes it quite civilised, more comfortable than most UK housing...? perhaps.

Managing time, impossible to do it all. Sacrifices have to be made if you want to build. Only you will know how much you would give up in pursuit.

I’ve seen lots of people do this, loads on you tube and insta, lots do it badly and a few do it well. 

What i see the good ones doing. 

Build some additional accommodation

so let’s say your having a double garage. Build this first, then drag the static over to it and join them together

install a wood burner in the garage, with a washing machine and a small drying area, leave the door open to the static, or even cut the door out twice as wide, the warm air keeps the static cosy, little front room in the garage and sleeping only in the static. .  

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice fellas.

We're both pretty laid back and planning to get a large, well kitted out static(heating/double glazing etc) with a good set up surrounding. Hoping this takes the sting out of caravan living.

I like the idea of a second, cheaper static for more space and storage but would depend on the size of the plot and how easy it would be to sell on after. The double garage would also be a dream!

How did you survive a week without water Duncan?

19 hours ago, Swiss86 said:

... worried about living in a static caravan on site for what could be 2 years plus with 2, possibly 3 young kids....

Self-building is nothing more than a series of tests of character. Worrying about each of those tests is the first step towards solving them. 

Don't push any into the background.They come back to bite you.

Solve the quoted problem by detailed planning and research, and you'll have 4 allies - four willing pairs of hands. 

Here's a starter for your thinking : not exactly the same as your plans, but a good start .... have a look at their YT channel too.

Good luck

Ian

Reinforcing what others have already said - when I think about it the keys to me surviving/thriving on site in temporary accommodation, with sanity mostly intact:

a) Separate storage space. Whether it be a shed or garage or another static

b) Warmth and dryness. Wood burning stove in my case

c) Tolerance. Not just of cramped conditions and a compost loo. That comes down to a shared dream or goal that all are involved in - not just tolerating your own dream to build

Regards

Glenn

On the PMing yourself and bringing trades in point. Here’s my experience of that. Nearly every trade overlaps with another so a job gets 90% done. Getting some of them back is hard work so make sure you don’t get talked into paying all of it until they come back. There are three jobs I’ve ended up finishing myself because I couldn’t get them back fortunately I hadn’t paid them. Also try and use local trades and guys that all know each other. All the issues I’ve had about getting folk back have been with the trades that were furthest away and unknown in the area. 

When it comes to material choice I rather wish we’d gone with slates for the pitched roof and Sarnifil for the flat roof. The reason is one of maintenance. Tilers and Sarnifil are both common in my area so if we have any problems it’s easy to get local trades to fix it. Instead we went standing seam for pitched roof and Alwitra for the flat roof. There’s no local knowledge of either in my area. Both are lovely materials and both roofs look great. My point is research which skills are common where you live and consider sticking to those materials. This is more of an issue if you live rurally. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the further responses. Seems extra storage space is key to make life a bit easier and I'll check out that YT channel now.

Another issue I can see is the period from the sale of the house to the move on site. I'd assume we'd go straight from the house to the caravan so would need to have the static bought and delivered ready for near the time we exchange. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

And can you apply for services to be brought to the site before purchase? 

Obviously we can rent a genny for electric if need be but what would we do for water?

TIA

No, not yet. Our mortgage is up for renewal in 18 months. I've still got to fully convince the other half before we start approaching land owners. I wouldn't want to start now and waste peoples time.

I've read it can take up to 4 months to get a water connection but on average its around 8 weeks.

What have people done between that time? 

On 21/09/2023 at 14:25, Swiss86 said:

about living in a static caravan on site for what could be 2 years plus

if you're thinking 2 years plus, add a year to it! especially if you're self-managing and doing work on it yourself. everything takes longer than you think.

Both times I built, we had the plot long before selling the old house, so had plenty of time to get the static caravan on site and services connected.  A rural plot you might well have to install a sewage treatment plant as well.  And not all plots are even suitable to live on.  One plot we looked at was on a very steep hill.  Not only would the foundations potentially cost a lot, but we were not even sure we could create enough flat enough land for a caravan.

Regards what to do in the short term, when I was visiting the site organising services etc I stayed in my touring caravan having to fetch drinking water and dispose of chemical toilet waste as you do on a caravan site.  I would not want to be doing that for long.

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

if you're thinking 2 years plus, add a year to it! especially if you're self-managing and doing work on it yourself. everything takes longer than you think.

I self managed our extension a few years back, taught me a lot😅 but feel far more prepared for this than I was before. Still expecting there to be plenty of hiccups though!

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Both times I built, we had the plot long before selling the old house, so had plenty of time to get the static caravan on site and services connected.  A rural plot you might well have to install a sewage treatment plant as well.  And not all plots are even suitable to live on.  One plot we looked at was on a very steep hill.  Not only would the foundations potentially cost a lot, but we were not even sure we could create enough flat enough land for a caravan.

Regards what to do in the short term, when I was visiting the site organising services etc I stayed in my touring caravan having to fetch drinking water and dispose of chemical toilet waste as you do on a caravan site.  I would not want to be doing that for long.

Yeah that wouldn't be ideal for a family of 4, potentially five. Need to come up with a solution for between the sale and water/sewage connection for sure