• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Glenn

  • Rank
    New Member

Personal Information

  • About Me
    Embarking on small agricultural building conversion adventure
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thank you both for your reassurance, much appreciated! the extra weight of the chipboard, worth considering Regards Glenn
  2. Hello all, dumb question time Laying a plywood floor over rigid celotex boards, themselves laid on an uneven concrete floor (say max 25/30mm humps and dips). What are the consequences in terms of noise and feel, integity, insulation value etc, if no attempt is made to level the floor by e.g. A bonded screed, or filling individual dips More detail. Converting some sheds next to actual build. The 2 sheds are basically one unit, and will be a workshop and temp acvommodation/storage etc. Both have a typically roughly laid farm building concrete floor. All advice received and much online is built around assumption that end result is always a screeded, insulated floor. It is asserted a level floor is required before insulated boards are laid, but at the same time it is assumed that the screen on top of the boards will take care of levelling. But I'm biased towards a timber floor in any case. My preferred build up would be dpm, insulation, then 2 layers of 12mms ply laid at 90 degrees to each other and screwed together My budget is bookmarked for the actual build, so I am trying to identify the most effective way to achieve a good floor, without long drying time, at a good price, using a method I can DIY. To work that out I ask myself what would happen if I don't do sometning? What if I just finished and lay the boards, some may have voids, or sit over a hump, will I notice it once the stiff plywood layer is laid and screwed? I planned to use a semi-dry cement/sharp sand mix in any excessive area. should that go over or under the DPM? Thank you for indulging me. Please do shoot holes in my plan. Regards Glenn
  3. Thank you so much for the quick and detailed replies, incredibly useful! May I apologise in turn for my tardy response. 1. A nugget on timing in particular stood out - "I would ask for an invoice that just mentions water supply to your barn rather than a share of the whole job. Must be dated after you own the property." As the work has been done and I won't own the property for a while, I'm thinking I might need to forego the 15% (diff between 20% and 5%) savings from invoices raised ahead of me owning the property - 1. water connection at road, 2. work done to run pipe from road to property, and 3. electricity connection. Set against the risk of losing the whole CIL excemption, I might just have to suck it up 2. CIL liable on a conversion. I'm self build and under 100m2 (it's a small building), but I am presumably adding floor area, as a 1st floor is created. I can only apply for the excemption and see what happens I guess 3. Fixing the other building(s) next to the building to be converted, at the same time, so that VAT can be reclaimed. As I need to apply for full pp to raise part of roofline anyway, including a garage in the pp application is a great idea, thank you. Regards Glenn
  4. Hello, newbie here - apologies in advance if this has been addressed before, but I didn't find anything 1. In process of buying an agricultural building for conversion - ie as of now, prior to exchange/completion 2. Change of Use permission is in place 3. After I have bought, I'll be submitting full planning permission, as there are a couple of changes needed that don't fit into change of use Agreed to buy without any services in place. In the meantime, vendor has kindly been organising water connection (new pipework from main road, >100m away, cost to be shared with other neighbouring conversion, and redoing of existing connections for 3 other properties). I'm also now looking at electrical connection My dumb questions are: a. These are new water and electrical connections, so they qualify for reduced 5% VAT? ie I can include this work in my VTA reclaim, even though I don't yet own the property, nor have full planning permission? b. Anyone had experience of a water connection like this that is well away from the site of the property, hence may not qualify for reduced rate? c. Is there a Catch-22 in that the CIL period is triggered' by the start of development, but I can't submit my CIL form until I have PP? Is connecting water and power to a building considered development and hence triggering. I have no idea if there is any crossover between the VAT reclaim folder of evidence and claims, and the CIL checks And on a separate note d. The agricultural building to be converted comes with some sheds. Once I have title I'd like to work on these to make them waterproof, for storage of goods/tools etc. Does working on buildings that are not covered by the change of use affect the CIL at all? Apologies again that these will seem so obvious/confused to experienced forum members. I just don't want to fall into a cost pit through my keenness to get going while the PP process goes on. Regards Glenn