Copper v MLCP

Lee33

At risk of causing a civil war in here, if you was to build your own place from scratch (and ignoring budget and install time) would you use MLCP or copper piping throughout the house? (and if copper, soldering or press fit?)

mmmmmmmmm. I have never used MLCP. I used only copper on my daughters with soldered joints (but i would like to have a go on one of those electric things.) In my other daughters, i used Hep, with no joints under the floors, ceiling, or walls. Plastic is so easy, so to answer your question, Perhaps MLCP with a bit of copper.

• Like 1

I'm using plastic push fit below floor, soldered copper up and down to the rads. 

Price and speed are a factor, but also potential for changes in the future. 

Not to mention long runs of copper always tick tick tick when heating up and cooling down

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lee33 said:

At risk of causing a civil war in here, if you was to build your own place from scratch (and ignoring budget and install time) would you use MLCP or copper piping throughout the house? (and if copper, soldering or press fit?)

Copper and solder the lot. It is what I did. Looks neater too and is tried and tested, real-world long term. 

• Like 1

I've had a chance to play with a few sorts as a DIY office jockey type.

Copper is ace in tight spaces with lots of complex gubbins to connect up. Very compact. Very well behaved in terms of support; pressure drop; etc. Do yourself a favour and use press fit to allow 100% dry fit before assembly rather than end feeding as you go..unless you're really ace at measuring as you go. Undoing/redoing 28 mm tees or 35 mm tees in end feed is not fun.

MLCP is perfect for lairy first fix labourers. It seals internally and the diffusion barrier is buried deep in the pipe. Feel free to drag it across concrete, around the corners of rough cut metal studs, step on it repeatedly, use it as a towrope etc. It'll seal perfectly every time. Compression nut or press fit.  Not widely available in smaller diameters though and the fittings are restrictive.

Hep2o is delicate as heck; what with sealing on that outside and being made of scratch prone chewing gum; but it's very much easier to pull through like a wire/available in smaller sizes and does better on pressure drop for a given draw off volume.

If mistrusting somebody lairy to first fix - mlcp. If trusting people to first fix and caring for draw off volumes more - hep2o. And transitioning to copper/screwed brass for the fiddly bits in a plant room when required.

• Like 1