Personal preference override automation

In swmbo’s absence I’ve been experimenting ( no , not like that )

Whilst not a huge fan of Alexa ( unless it’s on a different website ) have got some integration into my HA .

But … in the bathroom ( for example ) lights come on / off depending on motion sensor ( still not allowed a camera ) . If SWMBO is sat in the bath watching crap on her phone ( even though there’s a wall mounted iPad 🙄 ) ; lights go out due to lack of activity - she waves her arms or says “ Alexa ( bitch ) lights on “ - how should I revert to “automatic lighting “ again ? . I thought maybe a timer - or after 2 hours of no motion in bathroom it reverts back to ‘automatic’ mode . Seems a bit crude .

Geo fence swmbo’s phone to in/out bathroom ?.

Reset at midnight to default automation ?

There’s plenty of situations where automation can be overridden yet needs to ‘reset’ at some point …

Suggestions welcome ! 

A mmWave radar sensor would work far better as a presence centre than an IR-based traditional sensor. They can detect subtle movements such as breathing.

(I haven't got one myself (yet) but I hear they can be tricky to set up. )

Example: 

61PfRiC4NcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqara-Positioning-Multi-Person-Detection-Precision/dp/B0BXWZMQJ3

• Like 1

It’s not the sensing that’s an issue .

if default lounge lights are say white at 80% dim . Swmbo ( via Alexa as unlikely to use my rough iPhone interface ) makes lights blue at 100% . When do I instigate the default of white 80% . When does automation reset over personal preference ? .

I can’t be ass’d to change light colours / dim everytime someone has fiddled with them . 
Mulling over geo fencing on a room basis ….

Edited by Pocster

17 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Loxone?

This is actually not a bad answer, in that you could copy what Loxone does.

In its default config, after manual operation of lights it requires 1 hr of non occupancy before lights turn off. After that, it's back to the automation program.

Vs When lights have come on automatically based on motion, it is only 15mins of unoccupied before they auto turn off.

If you manually turn off lights, they remain forced off for 5mins before motion based automations resume.

All these extension timeouts are configurable

See parameters Met, Pto and Moet on

https://www.loxone.com/enen/kb/lighting-controller/

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

can you configure a double tap of some sorts to reset to default when entering a room?

Most rooms don’t have switches ( though I could do that ) . I think geo fencing will solve lots of issues on a room basis until of course SWMBO leaves her phone in a different room .

1 hour ago, joth said:

This is actually not a bad answer, in that you could copy what Loxone does.

In its default config, after manual operation of lights it requires 1 hr of non occupancy before lights turn off. After that, it's back to the automation program.

Vs When lights have come on automatically based on motion, it is only 15mins of unoccupied before they auto turn off.

If you manually turn off lights, they remain forced off for 5mins before motion based automations resume.

All these extension timeouts are configurable

See parameters Met, Pto and Moet on

https://www.loxone.com/enen/kb/lighting-controller/

Yeah - I can implement that easily and am still considering it . Maybe Alexa commands override default and as you say exist for longer until timing out back to ‘normal’ mode .

7 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Manually switch on off lights? Bit boring but it does work well, light go on and stay on as long as you like.

Yeah but very old skool boring . Best to over complicate with automation 😁

How many watts is the bathroom light?

Say it is 10 W.

If left on 24/7, that is around £30/year.

Now change the build to a 6W one, £18/year.

What can you do with £12/year?

Don't think you are allowed to employ a child to turn the light off theses days.