Progress. Before and after.

saveasteading

Perhaps this can inspire anyone in the process of renovation/ transformation.

This has taken 2 years from purchase, and the rest of the building is still a shell being fitted out. But, yes it's a liveable space, and the caravan is almost redundant.IMG-20230814-WA0001.thumb.jpg.98a82c0f7de2c48214dc1843c7e8b2f1.jpg

• Like 8

Well done, looking good.

The potential problem with old buildings like that is foundations, as one self builder here found, his steading had no foundations and it ended up being a knock down and rebuild.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

had no foundations

300 deep ours. It had moved in a few areas due to rainwater erosion, in turn due to failure of gutters

1/4 came down, the  rest is still on 300 deep footings.

These arches are not symmetrical, but we did underpin the column as it takes so much load.

9 minutes ago, joe90 said:

well done you

Mostly the family there. I just sit in the SE and answer questions or we send money.

I did design then physically do the drains, and redesign the foundations.

Going up next week though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Rent it out to emmets 

Part of the plan. phase 2. Need somewhere to live first!

The area is stunningly good for holidays. Good weather. Lots of golf courses, castles, beaches, canoeing,  the Cairngorms. Airport 30 minutes.

3 hours ago, Kelvin said:

gave an old building a new lease of life

Yes. builder developers only want to demolish and build new, and it is obvious why.

We saw similar buildings being allowed, perhaps encouraged, to fail, to permit demolition.

Back to nerdy stuff. This photo is a good example of how much internal space is lost with the inner stud construction.

The exposed stone is with the bco's blessing. Makes a change from all the white boxes he sees every day.

Of course we will lose energy through that stone, but there is a complex formula trading off thermal efficiency with historic interest and character.

In any case the thermal efficiency of a 600 thick stone wall in 3 skins is not hopeless.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mickeych said:

Looks gorgeous. hhhm the lack of foundations does give me thought to review our plan again with the structural engineer

As my old dad used to say. In the bloody 60's we used to build 4 storey blocks of flats on 300mm footings.