Stubbed Eaves Attic Truss Roof Lift

Hello,

I'm searching for options to add a second floor to our newly purchased, L-shaped bungalow.

The working idea is to build a ground floor extension to fill in the L and replace the existing roof with attic trusses. To gain some precious useable floor space, stubbed eave attic trusses seem to be a good solution. (example pic below).

Upsides, downsides or pitfalls to watch for?

(Any input or guidance is valuable and would be much appreciated.) 

Posi-Attic Trusses - MiTek UK and Ireland

Attic trusses like that is one way.  An alternative which may give more open and flexible space to use upstairs is a cut roof made on site hung from a ridge beam, assuming there is a gable end to support a ridge beam from.

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

Attic trusses like that is one way.  An alternative which may give more open and flexible space to use upstairs is a cut roof made on site hung from a ridge beam, assuming there is a gable end to support a ridge beam from.

The gable ends would need to be built. 

Are you suggesting framing a kneewall on top of the first story floor?

• 3 weeks later...

Just bear in mind that that solution would mean taking off the entirety of the existing roof and you'll have issues with it being livable during that time. 

You will struggle getting a temporary roof scaffold with access to lift in the trusses. 

I'm just finishing my project (bungalow loft conversion) where I had to do similar. 

On 01/09/2023 at 08:05, FuerteStu said:

Just bear in mind that that solution would mean taking off the entirety of the existing roof and you'll have issues with it being livable during that time. 

You will struggle getting a temporary roof scaffold with access to lift in the trusses. 

I'm just finishing my project (bungalow loft conversion) where I had to do similar. 

quite right, taking the existing roof off takes all the ceilings with it. not liveable.

3 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

quite right, taking the existing roof off takes all the ceilings with it. not liveable.

Actually, there are workarounds.. 

(I'm currently finishing my loft conversion where I took the entire roof off, but left the ceilings.. Although it was a nightmare mainly due to this summers lack of summer) 

On 01/09/2023 at 08:17, Big Jimbo said:

Depending on when it was built, you might have permitted development rights to add a second storey. Then you could move out, build stud walls, and put a roof back on top. This would give you full height eaves.

From my reading of PD rights, it seems that we wouldn't comply, given that the ground floor extension would be in front of the existing principle elevation.

I think we'd also bump up against the requirements for no windows on the side elevations AND the change in rood pitch.

Edited by Paddyflyer

On 01/09/2023 at 08:05, FuerteStu said:

On 02/09/2023 at 19:52, FuerteStu said:

Actually, there are workarounds.. 

(I'm currently finishing my loft conversion where I took the entire roof off, but left the ceilings.. Although it was a nightmare mainly due to this summers lack of summer) 

I found a company online that suggests they can get it done in 3 days! https://www.tvmlofts.co.uk/roof-lift-introduction/roof-lift/

Seems unlikely, but having a look at their pictures I can see how they could get another floor + roof on without destroying the ceiling joists below.

I'd love to find out more about your conversion Stu.

16 minutes ago, Paddyflyer said:

Seems unlikely, but having a look at their pictures I can see how they could get another floor + roof on without destroying the ceiling joists below.

I'd love to find out more about your conversion Stu.

Every roof is different, mine was a cut roof with the old ceiling supported by it. 

I had to use props and beams in most rooms, and demolish the old roof in 400mm sections, replacing with new Posi joists and nailing the old 3x2 joists that helps the ceiling to the new ones. 

Nightmare job really, mine was a complicated build too, with an atrium in the middle and a made on site Truss supporting one side of the new joists and the roof

Let's just say it was 4 weeks not 4 days, and a temporary roof scaffold was essential, but that was a lone worker with no crane. 

2 hours ago, FuerteStu said:

Every roof is different, mine was a cut roof with the old ceiling supported by it. 

I had to use props and beams in most rooms, and demolish the old roof in 400mm sections, replacing with new Posi joists and nailing the old 3x2 joists that helps the ceiling to the new ones. 

Nightmare job really, mine was a complicated build too, with an atrium in the middle and a made on site Truss supporting one side of the new joists and the roof

Let's just say it was 4 weeks not 4 days, and a temporary roof scaffold was essential, but that was a lone worker with no crane. 

Sounds like a huge project for one person!

Do you have any drawings or pictures you could share?

1 hour ago, Paddyflyer said:

Sounds like a huge project for one person!

Do you have any drawings or pictures you could share?

I've been Instagraming the progress! 

@stunchezloft 

I'm 7 weeks into the project, but a year in the thinking and hoping for it

• 5 months later...

I’m not the original poster, but in a similar situation, I have ended up getting a structural engineer involved for £1k to design be a steel ridge beam £2k for the rafter to be hung on. Get full height ceiling upstairs and velux can go wherever we want. Attic trusses were more expensive, less flexible but would have been quicker. 

40 minutes ago, LiamJones said:

I’m not the original poster, but in a similar situation, I have ended up getting a structural engineer involved for £1k to design be a steel ridge beam £2k for the rafter to be hung on. Get full height ceiling upstairs and velux can go wherever we want. Attic trusses were more expensive, less flexible but would have been quicker. 

Interesting, are you going to get the gables prepped for the ridge before the rest of the roof comes off?