Property developer trying to keep Tarmac instead of block paving.

The housing developer has forgot that each home private driveway should be block paved and not Tarmac. They have said they will look into sorting it, but I have seen they have put in a planning application under "non-material" change to keep the Tarmac for everyone's drive rather than the original plans to put down block paving.

The drive way for the houses make up part of the property for each house so by selling the property as having block paving then not doing it is misleading.

I have put in a breach of planning control and will speak to the planning office today, but what would be the best direction to take this?

Would this be a material change rather than a non-material change?

Thank you.

It may not apply to you but once you own the house I'm not sure they can ammend your planning permission without your approval. 

I know you can apply for PP on land you don't own but normally the planners require the owner to agree.

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Charles122 said:

Thank you for your replies.

When we purchased the property we were shown the plans and the plans had block paved private driveways. These are the plans we signed.

In the contract is doesn't mention drive ways at all.

“Plans” or an artists impression? If they are plans and it says block paving then demand it, be aware that quick/poorly laid block paving will look terrible very quickly.

9 minutes ago, markc said:

“Plans” or an artists impression? If they are plans and it says block paving then demand it, be aware that quick/poorly laid block paving will look terrible very quickly.

I have the engineering drawings that were submitted to the council when the plans were approved. I also have seen the plans in the sales office that show the block paving. I have also spoken to the Site Manager and Construction Manager and they said "We didn't know it should be block paving".

I am speaking to the sales team today, emailed the Senior Planning Officer that has taken on the amendment and obviously had myself and everyone who is effected put in a breach of planning control.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Charles122 said:

The builder didn't promise anything, they wrote it in a contract that we signed and that the council signed off.

So it’s nothing to do with the builder 

It’s the Counsul that promised you paver not Tarmac 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, nod said:

So it’s nothing to do with the builder 

It’s the Counsul that promised you paver not Tarmac 

If the builder made plans to build you a house and then built you a boat, would you blame the council or the builder.

If you think they are in breach of a contract over what was promised, vs what was supplied, then best speaking with a solicitor, especially if they are now altering the planning to suit what they supplied.

Edited by crispy_wafer

Does it look nice as it is? 

It sounds like the builder intentionally or accidentally breached a planning condition and used tarmac and is now trying to regularise it with a retrospective application. If he gets it through, then he’s done the right thing by the planning permission.  If not, he could appeal. if he’s not taken care of the SuDS there might be a kerfuffle. 

if you want the block paving you were promised/paid for, you could object to the application on the grounds of planning matters, not ‘because it’s not what we were promised’ as that wouldn’t be a valid planning reason. 

Have you completed/moved in? Exchanged? If you’ve moved in already it could be messy literally and legally. 

8 hours ago, Charles122 said:

The housing developer has forgot that each home private driveway should be block paved and not Tarmac. They have said they will look into sorting it, but I have seen they have put in a planning application under "non-material" change to keep the Tarmac for everyone's drive rather than the original plans to put down block paving.

The drive way for the houses make up part of the property for each house so by selling the property as having block paving then not doing it is misleading.

I have put in a breach of planning control and will speak to the planning office today, but what would be the best direction to take this?

Would this be a material change rather than a non-material change?

Thank you.

you may find they enforce against you as the owner. May not be best idea to make a big stink.

3 hours ago, Charles122 said:

If the builder made plans to build you a house and then built you a boat, would you blame the council or the builder.

I would blame the builder 

I wouldn’t expect the Counsul Or planners to be that interested 

Unless it sank 😁