How shall i cut my trees.

Big Jimbo

I'm not on any other forums. Can only just use a computer, and can't find the info i need on the interthing.

I have got about 140 laurel trees on two sides of my property. I planted them about 5 years ago. They are great. About 10ft high, and about 1meter thick. Would any of the Green fingered bods know when i should cut them. They are thick enough, but i want to get them as tall as possible. If this is out of order Mods, feel free to delete it. Cheers Big Jimbo.

Laurels are the spawn of the devil when they get away from you as they are so vivacious. 

How about planting a nice slow growing hedge alongside them so you can remove the laurel totally in a few years? 

13 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Will cutting the tops encourage them to grow taller ?

No, it will encourage them to to grow more side shoots and thicken up. If it's Cherry Laurel they should grow to around 30 feet eventually. They will still grow to their maximum height if you chop the tops off ocassionally. I planted a Cherry Laurel hedge many years ago and it was hard work keeping it at only eight feet high.

• Like 1

if anything like my laurel (cherry) then the buggers are difficult to kill, and grow at a rapid rate...  I take the tops of to the height I want - get through any thicker branches.  New thinner branches will be easier next year, then it's a quick twice a year trim.

I need a scaff tower to trim them now.  Must be about 12-14ft i think.  The neighbourhood bird population love them for nesting in!

excuse the rubbish but there's some of mine looking out of my kitchen window trimmed about 6 weeks ago!

image.png.a5e140d3a6c09d85fa832baef45f4e4c.png

• Like 1