Home network help

Hi All

I am just starting my first fix, my house will be 250m2 (125 per floor) and mainly block inner wall construction. We can only get sky/bt broadband (60mb) via telegraph pole in our area.

I am planning on installing 2 Ethernet ports in each bedroom, and behind the TVs in the kitchen and lounge. I will also be installing 6 x PoE cameras.

My plan was to install a network cab with 24 patch panel and Poe network switch (any recommendations would be good) this cab will house the sky wi-fi router and bt master socket, I am running a cat 6 cable from where the cable comes to the house so they can connect onto that. Cab located in first floor cupboard 

My other concern is wi-fi coverage, I looked at the ubiquiti ap but was concerned about how they look dotted on the ceilings. Is there any other WiFi mesh/boosters available or are ubiquiti ceiling mount ap’s the best? Do these just plug into my network switch?

any advice or ways to achieve what I want would be very much appreciated. I have attached my floor plans for info

Many Thanks

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0869.jpeg

On my renovation I've gone with the ubiquiti in wall access points rather than ceilings, which for me are more discrete

The ubiquiti access points will plug direct into any POE switch providing the switch is capable of providing the POE spec required. I am currently running off a cheap netgear

You will need a way of managing your access points, I do this via a cloud key, but you can install the software on Windows etc, or I beleive their routers have this built in.

The benefit of going all ubiquiti - switch, router, access points is that you will get an entire overview of your network from the user interface.

I'm sure there are other mesh networks that are of a similar quality, probably for a cheaper price and others will advise on their experiences

Notes:

I'd consider going to 4 cat6 behind the TVs depending on your needs - maybe only main TV position needed?

I'd have at least 2 cat 6 to living, lounge, kitchen, study and garage

Don't forget to provision for WIFI externally, especially if not in a good network area

It is a lot easier and cheaper to run extra cables now if you think you might ever configure your rooms differently

Don't forget provision for terestrial TV / radio and satellite if required

6 hours ago, elite said:

I'd consider going to 4 cat6 behind the TVs depending on your needs

That feels a lot unless you are going to use some of them for HDMI over Cat6 - what was your thinking? You can always put a mini switch / hub behind the TV if you need more points. We are also on First Fix and I worry about fixing TV points on walls as deciding the best place for a TV somewhat fixes the way the room will turn out.

I went with 2 Cat6a per TV point, then in lounge 2 behind TV and 4 in the corner of the room and a duct between corner and TV. AV kit sits in corner of room, with wall mounted TV neatly on the wall! 

Also did 2 per bedroom TV, 2 for kitchen TV, 2 on kitchen counter, 4 per study, 2 per garage, 2 per CCTV point. 

Also 2 in garden for possible garden room in future (duct under Patio) and 2 front of house in case of electric gates. 

Working my way through the networking installation atm... I'll post up pics later! 

Edited by Andehh

You can get recessed housing for the nanos. https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/32739-ubiquiti-nanohd-rcm-3/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5f2lBhCkARIsAHeTvliA9Fm-a2DavLXxC-v-04qeMD0nLAYnGkFZdPFwTROPCU5b3sXlw_4aAgWyEALw_wcB

If you are going Ubiquiti AP I’d go for Ubiquiti pie switch, I’ve also got the cloud key for management and the security gateway enabling me to avoid using the junk routers that providers supply, if you do use theses don’t forget to switch off the Wi-Fi. 

Also don’t confuse Poe driven Access Points with Mesh or Boosters very different levels of performance. If in doubt of coverage just throw some addition cables and leave them in the service void. 

1 hour ago, Andehh said:

I went with 2 Cat6a per TV point, then in lounge 2 behind TV and 4 in the corner of the room and a duct between corner and TV. AV kit sits in corner of room, with wall mounted TV neatly on the wall! 

Also did 2 per bedroom TV, 2 for kitchen TV, 2 on kitchen counter, 4 per study, 2 per garage, 2 per CCTV point. 

Also 2 in garden for possible garden room in future (duct under Patio) and 2 front of house in case of electric gates. 

Working my way through the networking installation atm... I'll post up pics later! 

Excuse my ignorance, what's the benefit of the additional CAT runs? We have 1x run to each TV point and never found a need for more, but we don't have surround sound etc anywhere yet. 

Just going through this at the same time. 

I deal with a mix of HPE/Aruba and ubiquiti latelly at work, can confirm the Ubiquiti kit is pretty decent for the money spent.  So, yeah will be using this myself.  The inwall AP's would be the ones to get if you want less obtrusive, and you get a 4port switch built in if you can put these in a useable location.  Use POE switches as the AP's will draw power from these, at work I have the controller installed on a server, but there are other ways I believe to do this.

My preference but I'm using CAT6 instead of CAT6A, as it's a bit cheaper, buying branded partially used boxes from Ebay, try to get the non CCA stuff.  Most runs are less than 10m with a couple of 15m.  48 port patch, and I'll start with a 24 port POE switch. A UPS and a 12u cabinet should do the trick.  Don't forget to specify power outlets or a fused spur or 2 where the Cab will be located.

I'm going what seems mad with CAT6, 4 in the lounge behind the TV (pretty much a fixed location due to a glazed wall on one side, and log burner on another wall), 2 in the plant room, two in the kitchen near the consumer unit, 2 in hallway, 4 in downstairs bedroom, 2 in diff corners.  Upstairs 4 in each bedroom (different corners again), two in the loft just in case... + a couple located for Wireless AP's

Will be starting the runs for the CCTV cam's at some point.  But very similar, I'll throw a couple to each corner.

And as the Mrs is leaving me to it, I'm Wiring for ceiling speakers in every room too,  Lounge will from the AV amp, 2nd zone off this will feed kitchen diner and 2nd zone hdmi will feed tv in this area too if needed.  Bedrooms, bathrooms, hallway and utility are all wired back to the same place as the network cab where I'm thinking of a bunch of small class d amps for sound.  Control will be phones, or wall mounted tablets.  Looking for some that have decent app support so individual sound and group sound can be achieved.  I don't really want to get sucked into an expensive ecosystem if I can help it!

I'm more worried about TV tbh, the old internet isn't too good here, we do manage with IPTV on a few devices.  But would like to provision for either Sat or Aerial, I just cant decide...

1 minute ago, jayc89 said:

Excuse my ignorance, what's the benefit of the additional CAT runs? We have 1x run to each TV point and never found a need for more, but we don't have surround sound etc anywhere yet. 

TV, game console, and sky box wouldn't be an unusual combination.

1 minute ago, jayc89 said:

Failover, + stuff like AV Amps, Games consoles, Amazon boxes, raspberry pi's... neater than using switches, but these can be a solution.  I like wifi, but prefer cables...

5 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I'm more worried about TV tbh, the old internet isn't too good here, we do manage with IPTV on a few devices.  But would like to provision for either Sat or Aerial, I just cant decide...

This is another issue I am thinking about to, I wasn't planning on installing an aerial to be honest (as my 2 gable ends are vaulted ceilings so couldn't put aerial in loft like in my other house). My plan was to have sky glass with additional pucks for the other tvs

7 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I'm going what seems mad with CAT6, 4 in the lounge behind the TV (pretty much a fixed location due to a glazed wall on one side, and log burner on another wall), 2 in the plant room, two in the kitchen near the consumer unit, 2 in hallway, 4 in downstairs bedroom, 2 in diff corners.  Upstairs 4 in each bedroom (different corners again), two in the loft just in case... + a couple located for Wireless AP's

It might seem mad, but imagine how mad you would be if you needed another CAT6 and you didn't install one when it was easy to

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richo106 said:

This is another issue I am thinking about to, I wasn't planning on installing an aerial to be honest (as my 2 gable ends are vaulted ceilings so couldn't put aerial in loft like in my other house). My plan was to have sky glass with additional pucks for the other tvs

I'm a tight arse, and wont be paying money into sky or the others...  Amazon and the good old TV license are my limits these days

30 minutes ago, richo106 said:

@crispy_wafer I don't blame you! I am now going to install coax cable to all my tvs too, going to use the combined data & aerial socket behind the TV's

I'll just wire all the coax back to my network cab and least I can add a loft aerial easily if required

But only if you run a coax up to the loft.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

That feels a lot unless you are going to use some of them for HDMI over Cat6 - what was your thinking? You can always put a mini switch / hub behind the TV if you need more points. We are also on First Fix and I worry about fixing TV points on walls as deciding the best place for a TV somewhat fixes the way the room will turn out.

TV, Games Console, AV amp, streaming box. or as you say gives the option for HDMI over Cat6 if you wanted to move all the additional boxes to the network cab. That said a switch can often get you out of a hole if you haven't run enough

In one of my bedrooms there are two potential TV positions, so I have cables running to both, one set I have just left in the cavity to be utilised as and when I change the room configuration

19 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Thank you

Just to be clear, satellite cable is one type of coax cable, so don't necessarily be put off if you see the word "coax" used in the description.

5 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I think the consensus was wf100?  I don't know if one brand is better than another though

Yes, I think that's right.

Good discussions here:

• Thanks 1

I have been looking into Ubiquiti and have been recommended these:

https://www.4gon.co.uk/ubiquiti-unifi-uap-ac-pro-indoor-outdoor-access-point-uapacpro-p-6638.html

If i put one on the ground floor and one on the first floor in a central location...would this be sufficient in peoples opinions?

I have tried to find details on range/coverage etc and it says 122m...that seems a lot (to me anyway)

AP - FF.jpg

AP - GF.jpg

Edited by richo106

Have a play with this, map out your floorplan and place the AP's to work out best location for coverage.

UniFi Design Center (ui.com)

27 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Can i use Ubiquiti AP's with any PoE switch?

I use Aruba POE switches with Ubiquiti AP's at work, so I'd say yes, but that buying decision is mine and its company money, buying privately and advising over the internet, I'd advise to double check the POE requirements for the AP against the switch you are going to purchase.

Edited by crispy_wafer

11 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Also, if you wanted to go non poe switch...  then you can use a power injector --> Ubiquiti U-POE-AF Gigabit Power Over Ethernet PoE Injector (802.3af/48V) (broadbandbuyer.com)  depending on how many powered ports you need it may be cheaper to do this, although it does add a small lump of plastic and plug somewhere.

Thank you again for your advice, I need PoE for my CCTV cameras so going to go for a PoE switch