Shower pull switch Q.

Hi chaps, hope all well on BH & your projects. Has Onoff finished his shower yet?? I'll have a peep.

I have a shower pull cord switch unit, separate from my Mira shower unit. It's next to my WC light pull cord. 

Typical job with a small red neon light: pull cord & it's neon lights.. making the shower unit's light illuminate ON.

Recently I pull it & the shower unit's light doesn't light = not on. The (switch unit's) red neon light is feint, but does just illuminate. Occasionally I can pull it & it fully illuminates correctly, & shower unit light goes on. 

Might this simply suggest the switch unit needs replacing? Are these fallible, & my symptoms fairly common of a switch fault? I'm desperately hoping it's this (I installed it with shower ~5yrs ago) rather than the actual shower unit.

Thanks, Zoothorn 

13 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hi chaps, hope all well on BH & your projects. Has Onoff finished his shower yet?? I'll have a peep.

I have a shower pull cord switch unit, separate from my Mira shower unit. It's next to my WC light pull cord. 

Typical job with a small red neon light: pull cord & it's neon lights.. making the shower unit's light illuminate ON.

Recently I pull it & the shower unit's light doesn't light = not on. The (switch unit's) red neon light is feint, but does just illuminate. Occasionally I can pull it & it fully illuminates correctly, & shower unit light goes on. 

Might this simply suggest the switch unit needs replacing? Are these fallible, & my symptoms fairly common of a switch fault? I'm desperately hoping it's this (I installed it with shower ~5yrs ago) rather than the actual shower unit.

Thanks, Zoothorn 

Good morning squire, yes it just needs the pull switch replacing, bit fiddly with shower cable as it is quite thick and stiff to get into terminals etc. but a pretty quick easy job

Worth having a look to see what make switch and replacing with the same.  A different make may have the terminals in a different order or different position and then begins the hassle of re dressing the thick cables in a confined space so match the new switch.

Make sure the terminals a TIGHT then give the cables a wiggle and tighten them again.

Any burned cables (usually die to not being tight) will need cutting back to good clean copper.

Hi there chaps, great to get replies/  Markc, joe90, Onoff, ProDave & TT hope all's good with y'all.

Crabtree.. good call @Onoff but yes I might try & find a direct replacement 1st. I must've got it only from town, screwfix likely. If I can't then Crabtree it is. Will check the neutral & make sure of -tight- connections.

Glad no-one said it may as equally be the shower unit.. praying ok. 

Thanks, Zoot

Crabtree do a surface mount one which is an electricians dream, you fit the switch, connect the cables, then put the cover on without flexing any of the cables in the process.  Because you can be sure it is connected well it is very likely to be more reliable, but Customers don't like them because they want flush.

Personally I would never have a pull switch shower switch in my house, wall switch every time.

4 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Zoot the hoot. Just get a book and a beer, and head down to your cabin by the water. Just be smelly but happy.

Done this BJ quite ofyen tbh. But I gotta shower once during the 'summer'. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Crabtree do a surface mount one which is an electricians dream, you fit the switch, connect the cables, then put the cover on without flexing any of the cables in the process.  Because you can be sure it is connected well it is very likely to be more reliable, but Customers don't like them because they want flush.

Personally I would never have a pull switch shower switch in my house, wall switch every time.

Hi ProDave. Will have a look into this Crabtree type.. sounds ideal.

No I agree I'd prefer a wall switch, it's just that the pull cord one I fitted, replaced an old one up on ceiling. I don't have skills to redo the electrics to give me a better option hand height switch. So I'm forced into replacing it really.

11 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Just make sure to turn the electrics off first buddy.

Yup thanks BigJ. 

Just done so in fact/ had a peep inside- nothing obvious, all 6 connections firm.

I think I've found the likely LAP one I bought.. so will just have to replace & hope/ fingers x'd new one works.

I'd prefer Crabtree- I choose this stuff on my hifi plugs etc, solid quality.. tho that smaller round one, I'd think I'd maybe have a Zootmare stuffing the big HD cables' 6 wires in.

Cheers chaps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Jimbo said:

There won't be any of those old valve things inside the switch, like those old amps, so you will be fine. Good move to get the same make switch. Should be an easy swop, then you will no longer have to be StinkyZoot the Hoot.

Haha in fact I was just perusing vox valve amp history. Neon whatnots just about as fallible as old valves IME.

SZtH