Demon roof

kev123

Hi all i have the roof from hell. I have had 3 roofers round to fix an issue with the top floor chimney breast it leaks water via a damp patch at the top right where it meets the roof.

1st roofer put on new ridge tiles and used some grey magical sealant.

2nd roofer huffed and puffed.

3rd roofer saw some tile nails missing removed magic sealant from the 1st roofer and put proper lead flahshing on removed a chimney pot and blanked it off.

Water/damp still comming in when it rains. Tried to get in touch with 3rd roofer to come back and investingate but he is not returning my messages.

If there are any roofers that are worth their salt please take a look at the photos and any suggestions to fix the issue would be greatly apprecitaed.

This  has been going on for over a year now.

20230723_161427.jpg

IMG_20201115_131919.jpg

IMG_20201115_131926.jpg

20230723_155109.jpg

Edited by kev123
  • Sad 1

Hi @kev123

Tricky to know exactly what is causing the problem. 

Does it make a difference how strong the rain is?

Does it make a difference which way the wind is blowing?

When you say 1 chimney is capped off this is not good. You need airflow through a chimney to stop damp for several reasons, one being warm moist air travelling up the chimney and water condensing when meeting a cold chimney above the roof (not that I'm saying this is the problem now..)

Rendering the top of the chimney will not necessarily help. This will absorb moisture.

Any cracks in the side render will absorb moisture through capillary action.

Lead flashing on ridged tiles needs to be wider than on flat tiles. 

https://www.jjroofingsupplies.co.uk/blog-category/lead-flashing/

I would use sealant on the Walls and top to stop water getting in as well.

Good luck

M

Ditto for us and our old cottage - and for a neighbour 3 doors down. I agree with @ETC above - unfortunately for you.....

Just a thought...

Is the bottom photo of the gable end? Is water getting through a gap between the roof tiles and the brick / render .... i.e. the leak isn't related to the chimney?

Flashing looks wrong - it’s on top of those Romans and the water will be tracking below the lead and down the chimney unless there is a very good set of soakers installed which is probably unlikely.

Would also guess that render is letting in at the top - flashing needs to be cut in 35mm into the brick underneath and not just into the render. Ideally you want to cut back the render behind the lead too but doesn’t happen that often. 

Ideally that needs scaffold to work on it and the tiles removing either side and the lead replacing properly  - possibly talking £5-600 depending on access 

Very often chimneys were build without a full lead tray (like a damp course) and relied on any damp evaporating in a cold (ventilated) loft. It looks like you have a loft conversion or similar so nowhere for damp to evaporate. It’s probably cheaper to get it taken down and roof over than have it re built properly (if you really need it?).

6 minutes ago, kev123 said:

p.s remaining pot has a flu for a multifuel fire running up it.

Oh

7 minutes ago, kev123 said:

new stack as its half theirs

Oh again,  right I think you need to renew the lead properly cut in with soakers and re render the stack with waterproofer.