Is it worth power trowelling a garage floor

joe90

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

After uncovering and removing the shuttering, the answer to this OP is.  YES.  I should have power floated the slab. It’s very flat but the surface is not what I wanted (yes I can be OCD ) it’s only a garage and I will be painting  it I guess but hey it’s too late now. Thanks everyone for their input. 🤷‍♂️

Aww shame. Power float is what I would have done on a garage floor. Is it powdering up ? If so what will you do to seal it ? I ask because my rushed summer house floor is similar. It will be my site office / canteen for the next six months and I could do without the dust. 

15 hours ago, joe90 said:

should have power floated the slab.

No you shouldn't. You would have other issues or be thinking what a waste of effort it was.

What is the actual problem? Flatness, smoothness, ripples, colour differences.?  All solvable. Pics?

Also what proprties you want and why.  Eg oil resistant, super fllatness, colour.

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

No you shouldn't. You would have other issues or be thinking what a waste of effort it was.

Well it’s what I did on a previous garage and had a much better result, polished surface super flat.

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

What is the actual problem? Flatness, smoothness, ripples,

Yes ripples, 

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

colour

No I am painting it with garage floor paint 

Try removing the ripples using a big carborundum stone. If they are very soft then a  concrete paving block might suffice.

I'm wondering if I have misunderstood. I assumed you meant hiring one oc these big helicopter bladed power floats. They are beasts to handle even in a big area. I'd fear it going over the edge in a small slab.

@Canskidust....there shouldn't be any with a good mix that wasn't too wet.

There is special stuff to brush on that reacts with any cement that has not hydrated. For a small area though, it is as well to use floor paint.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2023 at 18:56, saveasteading said:

assumed you meant hiring one oc these big helicopter bladed power floats. They are beasts to handle even in a big area. I'd fear it going over the edge in a small slab.

Yes, I used one on a previous garage floor (even smaller) and it gave a brilliant result (lucky perhaps) yes a beast to control but I found it quick to learn how to control. It’s not that bad In hindsight, rubbing a few areas with a concrete block then a coat of paint will be great. The garage “kit” is coming Friday so looking forward to building it.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2023 at 10:37, joe90 said:

Well it’s what I did on a previous garage and had a much better result, polished surface super flat.

Yes ripples, 

No I am painting it with garage floor paint 

ripples means you floated it a bit too early.

It needs to be nearly gone off and it will be like glass.