Is it worth power trowelling a garage floor

joe90

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I can always trowel by hand any imperfections when nearly dry.

As there is not going to be a building on top of it when you poor, if it does not get the finish to want, you can always grind/polish it after.

Are you going to put some UFH pipes in, then you can collect some solar thermal from the roof and have a heated motor house.

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

full truck load

What size truck? Some depots have 4m3.

I don't think we know the slab thickness, or if you can use any surplus for garden gnomes.

Just to be sure.....are there any volumetric suppliers in your area. Suits small pours in so many ways.

15 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

What size truck? Some depots have 4m3.

I don't think we know the slab thickness, or if you can use any surplus for garden gnomes.

Just to be sure.....are there any volumetric suppliers in your area. Suits small pours in so many ways.

The concrete plant will only open on a sat  fir a large full truck load minimum, yes truck is small (my access problems).

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As there is not going to be a building on top of it when you poor, if it does not get the finish to want, you can always grind/polish it after.

It’s only a garage, I was being a bit OCD. (I have enough floor paint from my previous build to make it look good 👍)

35 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Are you going to put some UFH pipes in, then you can collect some solar thermal from the roof and have a heated motor house.

NO, as above it’s only a garage and an un insulated one at that.

30 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Most important question nobody has asked yet:

What size PIT are you installing.  My last 2 garages have had a pit, great addition.

No, not doing that, far too old now, I have ramps axle stands and jacks, no major works just tinkering (last one I dug kept filling with water 😵‍💫).

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Sitting is a pit is so much easier and less messy even for a simple thing like an oil change.

I would agree but IMO not worth the hard work digging it out (at my age),I would have if I was 20 years younger 😳

47 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No, not doing that, far too old now, I have ramps axle stands and jacks, no major works just tinkering (last one I dug kept filling with water 😵‍💫).

Screenshot_2023-06-27-11-37-12-206-edit_com_ebay.mobile.thumb.jpg.e33cb4c39607680e41ccee7df08af7c0.jpg

I wouldn't bother with a pit given the prices you can pick up a serviceable lift for. No chance of gas death either. 

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would wager a DIY installed and used lift is just as dangerous as a pit.

Plenty of mishaps here. 

I haven't seen any that weren't caused by incorrectly placed supports or in braked vehicles. 

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

diy nstalled and used lift is just as dangerous as a pit.

But I've also  seen a professionally installed one that had fallen over complete with truck.

Small anchors fitted that pulled out  of the concrete. 

The instructions were perhaps in Italian.

On 27/06/2023 at 09:36, joe90 said:

NO, as above it’s only a garage and an un insulated one at that.

A cheap A2A unit would give all the heat and cool you’d need tbh, and with a CoP of 3 or above :) 

Instant hit for as long as you need it on, plus it can be set for anti-frost, if the contents are precious. 

• Like 1

Looking good, question, as the truck only has 3 shutes it only reaches half way over my 6 meter long slab, minimix offers “free flowing concrete” sound much easier to push to the back of the slab, any downsides?

image.jpg

• Like 2

On 29/06/2023 at 12:11, joe90 said:

free flowing concrete”

As long as this is designed with smaller aggregate and a plasticiser to increase flow, then ok. Absolutely do not add water or allow anyone else to do so. Extra water reduces strength and increases shrinkage cracking...whatever anyone else argues.

• Like 1