Councils banned from charging for....

Does that mean I don't have to hide the asbestos in my weekly black bag collection.

I bet it does not make the men at my local tip any friendlier. 

I asked why they were wearing body cams now. Apparently they had an incident where someone swore at them.

On my old house was doing some renovations and obviously collecting the usual bits and bobs from the work, went to the local tip over a weekend they asked if it was trade waste it wasn't and they it was ok .

Monday evening I have a guy turn up at my house with a clipboard in hand from the council demanding he see that indeed it was waste from my house renovations.

I told him politely I didn't need to prove anything and he went on his way, still puzzles me how they knew where I lived unless the curtain twitcher brigade were behind it.

5 minutes ago, Discoeye said:

still puzzles me how they knew where I lived unless the curtain twitcher brigade were behind it.

They use your car registration. I tried to take some of my mother's rubbish to her local tip, refused entry. Apparently only if your car is registered in the county can you use the tip she pays for.

Okay, I just fly tipped it, leaving a not saying 'that will save you some cash'.

• Haha 1

Hi @Gone West this must be a area thing ,my local tip (fenland) has taken every bit of waste from our build from plaster board to blocks bricks and insulation off cuts and many many bags of general sweepings off the floor .Never once challenged as to what or where it came from. Saved me a fortune in skips .

59 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Hi @Gone West this must be a area thing ,my local tip (fenland) has taken every bit of waste from our build from plaster board to blocks bricks and insulation off cuts and many many bags of general sweepings off the floor .Never once challenged as to what or where it came from. Saved me a fortune in skips .

All the stuff you have listed there cost £2 per bag at our local tip and it has to be from your home not trade waste🙈

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

They use your car registration.

At Land's End at the moment. I have had a locals pass for many years. This gives me free parking. Not been here for a while, noticed the parking is now got cameras and a pay machine.

Went to the hotel reception and asked if locals pass was still valid. They handed me a tablet, punched in my name and car reg, free parking, brilliant.

Mind you, they charged me £4.25 for half a coke.

IMG_20230621_211551456_HDR.jpg

5 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Given the amount you save on energy you can afford it as long as you visit infrequently...

Was a regular here until I had to travel up country most weekends.

Hardly saving energy driving an extra 600 miles every week.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

They use your car registration. I tried to take some of my mother's rubbish to her local tip, refused entry. Apparently only if your car is registered in the county can you use the tip she pays for.

Okay, I just fly tipped it, leaving a not saying 'that will save you some cash'.

I use both Cornwall and Devon tips, so far no problems.

1 hour ago, Buzz said:

I finished the build in 2018 and was able to use the local tips (East Kent) before they introduced the charge. I reused and gave away most of the waste so never had to use a skip.

Does this mean they will also ban the silly process of having to register and book an appointment to take stuff in a trailer?

(I can't be bothered with that, my old Landrover is handy for taking stuff in it or on it instead of using my trailer and normal car)

I have argued before that if they put hurdles in the way of people responsibly disposing of waste, then they should not be surprised when there is more fly tipping.

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

argued before that if they put hurdles in the way of people responsibly disposing of waste, then they should not be surprised when there is more fly tipping.

I was asked to advise a county council on this. They did understand this risk buy there was some barrier they couldn't or wouldn't explain. 

My best guess us that when it is very easy, the small builders and house clearers abandon skips and do enormous amounts of rubbish go to the transfer stations.

I suggested selling vouchers at about skip cost, am cheaper if easy to recycle. and it was considered but never implemented.

The real answer is forensic investigation of fly tipping followed by seizure of vehicles and jail. But the penalties are light, as for anything in the scrap/  waste businesses. 

It couldn’t be more different in Blairgowrie. The council tip guys are friendly and helpful. You can take whatever you like there (within reason obviously) regardless of where it came from. No appointment booking. The only thing you need to do is register your trailer with them and get a certificate of entry, not that they’ve ever asked for it. It’s saved me a fair bit of money. I took them a box of Quality Street the other week. 😂 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

I like how the depot workers have pride in being sustainability workers. 

They get, of course, first dibs on stuff they fancy.    Reuse being above recycle in the hierarchy  that's fair enough.

My dad used to always come back with a stack of barely broken toys, which he would fix in moments and give to charity or jumble sales.