Is this something to be concerned about?

Yes that is a big gap. It may close again over the winter but that doesn't mean there isn't  a problem.

The building is not about to fall down though.

Please let us know how you get on. I imagine they have a well practiced, standard process of getting you to go away.

• Thanks 1

That's an interesting crack. Could you post more photos a bit further away?

Horizontal cracking is usually an indication of foundation settlement but I don't think that is what is happening here.

On 22/06/2023 at 22:30, George said:

That's an interesting crack. Could you post more photos a bit further away?

Horizontal cracking is usually an indication of foundation settlement but I don't think that is what is happening here.

20230612_110355.jpg

I wonder if it's settlement of the main house. If normal wall ties have been used and/or there's no movement joint then it's dragging the short wall with it. The horizontal crack is the rotation about the end of the side wall (cracks can only occur where there is tension) 

I would get some tell tales (like this but you only really need one or two https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124653827397) and take a photo of It every month for 6 months.

Report back then .

In terms of a fix, rake out the joint and repoint.

Screenshot_20230626-082823.png

Edited by George
  • Thanks 1

hard to tell from the photo but doesn't look like its bonded into the brickwork of the main house same as they adjoining wall they couldn't be bothered to gauge either.

Also the coping stone isnt flashed (contrary to NHBC spec) which will be letting water  down the back of that wall rotting it out slowly over  time.

How these big house builders get away with this crap is terrible.

Get onto LABC or whoever your warranty is with.

• Thanks 1

Is that single storey bit yours or your neighbours?  (it is the other side of the garden wall suggesting it might be next door)?

Nobody mentioned the render bead separating at the bottom?  That is going to give trouble before long.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Nobody mentioned the render bead separating at the bottom?  That is going to give trouble before long.

Now that I have rendered one whole wall - yes, just the one - , I can call myself an Internationally Renowned Rendering Consultant.

If you do nothing else, get that bead sealed before September......

rendergap.thumb.png.753cd12b5bde7db1c6d3d693e6e79490.png

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2023 at 10:13, ProDave said:

Is that single storey bit yours or your neighbours?  (it is the other side of the garden wall suggesting it might be next door)?

Same house, the bit at the bottom is a sky cable 

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

So NHBC completed their inspection. 

No evidence of subsidence, cracking due to shrinkage/thermal movement. 

Repoint, reseal, keep an eye was the advice. 

Guy seemed to know his stuff, and was an ex subsidence assessor.

Happy with that, good to know nothing sinister going on. 

• Like 1

Hmmmm.... I am very skeptical of shrinkage or thermal cracking being the cause. Cracks in masonry can only occur under tension (or tension caused by shear). That must mean there is some movement orthogonal to the line of the crack. The mechanism of shrinkage does not cause horizontal cracks on short returns. Similarly, thermal movement cracking would be at the interface of a long panel and a short panel, not wholly within a short panel. Were they a Chartered Engineer?

However, overall I don't think it is anything to be much concerned with. Likely minor settlement of the three story building immediately adjacent pulling the bottom half of the shorter wall with it. Repair and keep an eye on it. 

• Like 1

One possibility is that that the scaffolders butted too hard against the wall when putting a lift in,literally lifting a couple of courses up. When the bricklayers jumped up to carry on it may not have been spotted or they did & didn’t care. Hold your level up the wall there & see if there’s a bump & hollow. 

On 20/07/2023 at 14:55, Romfordian said:

ex subsidence assessor.

I'm afraid, as I predicted, the people that are liable have told you not to worry about it.

It may not be the big problem that ground movement might cause,  but no new house should crack like that.

Have you got the persons comments in writing.?

I think the jist of what he was saying is that the main 3 storey building moves at a different rate than the smaller single storey extension leading to forces between the two.

Makes sense as no signs of damage on the main building and other similar properties on the estate have a similar hairline crack in the ceiling plaster where the two buildings meet.

He did say a wall tie may have corroded or failed internally leading to the smaller wall kicking out or getting dragged in.

25 minutes ago, Romfordian said:

the main 3 storey building moves at a different rate than the

That's the sort of thing that Engineers think about. I guess they didn't bother with that expenditure.

For clarity. Extension is mentioned, perhaps as a convenient description, but it was all built together as new?

27 minutes ago, Romfordian said:

a wall tie may have corroded or failed internally 

In a 5 year old building? No. And if it had then that would be a worry, not an excuse.

15 hours ago, Romfordian said:

Didn't specify his qualifications

That surprises me.

Perhaps they asked the postman as he was passing anyway.

Seriously I would acknowledge receipt and ask for the status and qualifications of the inspector. Also if they intend to monitor the problem.

The house was built at the same time but it's obvious the main 3 storey building and the single storey "extension" are separate structures, they share a join along 1 aspect which is where the hairline crack manifests.

Personally I think the heavier building has settled more/quicker than the smaller building (clay soil) which has pulled the wall down and opened the crack as force has been applied to the top of the wall, throwing it out of square. 

I would hope NHBC are sending qualified people to assess issues, if not I'm wasting my time even asking. 

I'll continue to monitor the crack, the report is on record and there's over 5 years left on NHBC warranty.